1. {When summer is over}

Dear Juniper,

After several reconsideration, we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission into the program.

... and we hope to see you again next year.

As I reopened the mail, I tossed and turned, hoping for it to be a hallucination. I had been anticipating this day for months, the day I would be able to leave my miserable life behind.

I had to wait another year?

It was my chance to leave the twins behind. Anyone could tell I didn't belong here; I was the accidentally cracked egg, I didn't match the other two. I was not one of the triplets, rather a sibling to the absolutely perfect set of twins. I was despised and blamed for destroying the stereotype, and I loathed myself for it.

Now that my chance of finally leaving them behind for the sake of education had vanished, I knew the entire universe betrayed me. The cumulative anticipation of finally leaving exploded and washed over my entire body with a feeling of sorrow, intense sorrow.

Everyone knew I was supposed to travel after the summer, what would I say to them if the summer ended and I did not travel?

Thanks to the twins, the whole school knew I was skipping year 12, how would I go back to that school? My parents were happy that I was happy to do this one thing, what was I going to tell them, I was supposed to be the smart one.

"Jade! Jace! Breakfast," I heard my mother's yelling voice from downstairs. And after some seconds, I heard, "June, breakfast!"

I switched off my phone and hauled myself out of bed. I had been lying on the bed rechecking the mail hoping for it to change each time I rechecked it but I knew there wasn't a chance in hell that was happening.

In fact, from the moment I comprehended the content of the mail, I knew that was the reality I had to accept.

I walked out of my room, joined in on the table, greeted my mother and started to eat.

"Jace, do you want to go see Black Panther with the girls today?" I heard Jade turn to him as he was sat directly beside her. Although, it was my mother's rule to not talk on the dining table, I had no idea why she had no objection to it today.

"I have a game to watch with the boys today," he replied her, munching on a bite of his chicken. Seeing the look of disappointment on her face, he continued "but I could get them to watch it with you guys tomorrow." and that made her smile.

"Okay cool, I'll just go to Ella's today then," she responded with a smile.

I only concentrated on my food, I wasn't a part of that life and I've lived and survived with that fact so it bothered me when my mother chose to ask the question,

"Have you seen the movie, June?"

I froze and then looked up from my plate and shook my head aggressively as I replied, "I'm not into those kinds."

That was a big fat lie.

I'd seen the MCU movies hundreds of times already and I already planned to watch the black panther until I received the university mail today.

"Of course, she's the smart one, totally not into the whole concept of life," Jade chipped in, with a dragging fake smile plastered to her face.

As my father joined the table and greeted all of us, I looked up to scan his face. He'd be the most disappointed if I told him about the mail.

That day when I decided to take the state exams by year 11, he advised me not to in order to gain more experiences before joining the outside world. I insisted, because clearly I wasn't after experiences, all I wanted was to get out.

"Have you heard from the university, June?" He suddenly popped the question and I couldn't not choke on the water I was drinking.

After I got better, I looked up to find my father's anticipating a response so I wandered for a bit. If I told him about getting rejected, I'd face the whole humiliation right here and right now. If I told him, that means I was ready for the whole rollercoaster ride.

If I didn't, he'd get even more disappointed when he finds out. And I'll give my siblings a better chance at eating up on my insecurities.

"No, they haven't sent in anything recently," I faked a smile and responded.

It's not a lie, it's a secret.

💨March 12th
xx