15. {The waterfall}

Jace's POV

With the way time passed by, the demons of hopelessness hit us with a wave. I had just accepted we could never find June unless she was ready to let us. As I went down the stairs that night, I didn't expect to see Jade. Her hair was ruffled, there were conspicuous blood stains on her clothing and her hands, you could see the blood smeared on them.

"Where have you been?" I asked her, she didn't look up to answer me. She kept on walking up the stairs like she'd ignore me and walk by. "Why's there blood on your hand?"

"You don't have to worry about me too. I'm doing perfectly alright taking care of business," she answered me with a straight glare.

"June," I asked her. "What about June, did you hear anything about her?"

"I already told you Jace, June is okay," she answered me and with that, she walked away leaving me to all my thoughts.

NEXT MORNING
•June

My eyes suddenly fluttered open. I knew I wasn't in the room considering how Lisa's legs weren't already on my face so I sat up immediately, removing the blanket that covered me.

I looked down to see Jesse, he slept on the floor. As I watched him sleep, I couldn't help the small smile that twitched in the corner of my lips. I didn't stare for long as Avery suddenly started to shout for Jesse to wake up after she waved at me.

"Jesse! It's today, we have to go play at the park in the evening and send the pictures to Mommy for Abe to see," she whined bitterly as she shook her brother's body. Jesse sat up slowly, disoriented as he tried to untangle his disheveled dark hair.

"Okay okay, I'm coming Avery. Go disturb Lisa," he said to her. She smiled knowing that he already heard her before she ran back upstairs to go do what he asked.

"Are you okay?" He asked me. I nodded with an assuring smile.

"Your nose," I started upon noticing how red they were. "They are red."

"This," he smiled knowingly. "It's from staying out the rain, but don't worry it doesn't matter," he replied me with a smile as he walked to the kitchen.

Then I remembered that he kept begging me to let us leave the rain that day, but he ended up listening to me under that rain.

"I'm sorry," I mentioned as I unconsciously picked up the chocolates from yesterday and unwrap it. Jesse waved my apology off and said it was totally fine.

•••••

It was evening

We were all ready to go to the park. Jesse insisted I went with them because he wasn't going to leave me alone in the house so I got dressed and got into the car. Avery and Lisa competed for shotgun while I walked behind them, shaking my head in disbelief.

Halfway through the ride, Avery yelled from the front seat, "car concert!"

Lisa then connected her phone to the stereo and played some music as we drove. Once The Weeknd's Blinding lights came on, I didn't realize what I was in for.

Avery's mighty voice started to shout to the lyrics and Lisa joined in too. Although, Jesse didn't join his sisters to yell in the car, the way he shook his head and mouthed the lyrics as he drove made me know that this wasn't the first time they were doing this. It was another thing that bonded them together and seeing that made me smile a little.