8. {Misfit}

Wednesday

As Tuesday passed, I didn't see my parents. For a moment, I let myself think that they had forgotten about me or were okay with me being at Nan's place. So I was happy.

I continued with my plan. I ate everything Nan cooked, everything she gave me and she was happy. It was like killing two birds with one stone. She was happy because she wasn't used to cooking for people other than herself, she was glad to have me and I was glad to have her, because she asked no questions.

Today, I sat in front of the food and finished my second plate.

"I haven't always noticed you eating that much, June" Nan remarked.

"I just love eating the food you cook," I told her and she smiled. A wide smile and I was proud I could still give her that.

A knock came on the door and I wasn't even bothered as I took in more food onto my plate. I was about to take the first spoon in my mouth when I heard,

"Where is she?" That was my Father's voice.

And I knew from his tone that he was angry and disappointed. Along with the food that fell from my grasp, I felt the sorrow wash over me. I knew the end had come and they were going to drag me back there.

"June," I heard my mother's voice next and she walked into the dining room to find me eating.

"Mom..." I drawled.

I sat down on the chair face to face with my siblings and waited for the adults to come out from talking in private. I knew that this was the moment I had to face the truth. I had to face the questions.

Why did I leave home?

Jade didn't say anything, she just scanned my entire body and appearance the whole time. Jace avoided my gaze, and for some reasons, he didn't want to talk to me. I wondered how dared he. It was I who deserved to be angry, not him. He had to know that, right?

"She's going with us," I heard my father say as he walked out of the room first and then he continued. "Go pack your things, June. We come to grandma's place together as a family, okay?"

As subtle as that sounded, I knew that was Father's way of telling me I disappointed him.

I looked at Nan and hoped she would tell him to leave me here, that I was good here. But she didn't because as much as I hated to admit, Nan always asked the normal amount of question, she always did the right amount of things. I was asking her to overdo, so she wouldn't.

With tears streaming down my face, I went to the room and packed my things. I hadn't even cried since I was here. Why couldn't they see? That I was better here, that Nan was treating me better, feeding me all that I wanted.

I packed my stuff and walked out the room without looking back, I headed out to the living room and bade Nan goodbye without any smile on my face. As Father drove us home, it was in utter silence. I looked out the window, Jade was on her phone all along, Jace shuffled between pressing his phone and not doing that throughout the ride. It was easy to tell that he was restless, but I couldn't bear to notice anything about them, I had myself to think of.

I wondered what I was going to say if my parents asked me why I left. I didn't know what to say and I knew they were going to ask. As we arrived home, I only wanted to go to my bed but of course, nothing ever goes as planned.