24. {Old memories}

My sleep was interrupted by a constant need to check on my window even though I was sure that I locked it from outside. When I woke up to the side of the distress button right beside my bed, I thought I would wake up with a bad headache, but remembering the sequence of yesterday's events, I knew I had better things to worry about.

"Jace, June, Jade! Breakfast" I heard my mother yell from downstairs.

So I just washed up, grabbed my phone before I went downstairs.

•I'm sorry
Something urgent came up yesterday
Was there something you wanted to say?

As I greeted my parents and sat on the chair in the dining, I still didn't know what to say to Jesse. I thought about sending the apology as a text so I grabbed my phone and continued to eat as I replied to his text.

"Mother said not to use your phone when you eat," I heard Jade's voice and I looked up from my phone.

This was jade prying again and Maya called it caring.

I glanced at my mother and just dropped my phone. Once I was done eating, I took it back and started to form those sentences. As I did, I wondered what I'd do if Jesse didn't accept my apology.

"June, I'm taking you to the salon," my Mom told me as her keys dangled in her hands. I stood up from the dining, grabbed a bottle of water and pressed on the blue send button.

I wanted to apologize for sending you away that day, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have.

•••••

I stared at my blank phone screen as we steamed our hair. It was all just silent until my mother decided to stir up a conversation.

"So, how's therapy going?" She asked me, not bothering to turn to me as she could see me in the mirror in front of us.

"Maya is great at her job," I responded.

"Yeah, your father has known her for a long time now," she told me with a smile before continuing. "You know one time, you were away at Nan's with Jace, we took Jade to see her."

My eyes widened as I didn't recall any of that memory. "Jade saw a therapist? Why, what happened?" I inquired.

"It was the first time we noticed her hostility towards you and her other friends," she told me.

"Didn't therapy work? I mean Jade is still the way she is?" I asked her. She only scoffed and nudged me slightly with a smile.

"Your sister struggles with expressing her love. She doesn't have it simple like we do. If you're going to trip on a banana for example, she wouldn't tell you to be careful, she'll say I'll be happy if you fall, dumbass." My mother explained and mimicked Jade's voice in the last statement with another knowing smile.

I laughed at that, she was right. Jade preferred to pry into your business in the toughest manner she could. I didn't understand how she found it hard to just come out as caring, I mean no one would criticize her for it.

"When you both were little, you literally had the same face, people found it hard to distinguish between both of you," she said.

"I didn't remember it being that bad," I answered her.

"You want to see?" She asked me and I nodded. She then took out the locket necklace on her neck and she opened it for me to see.

"Which am I?" I asked her because even I couldn't tell.

"You know sometimes even I am confused, but I remember from the blank expression on this face, this must be Jade and the one smiling is you," she told me.

"We are the twins," I asked her and she nodded with an unfading smile.

That changes everything I know, Jade and I were from the same egg and Jace was the one that didn't crack, how exactly was I supposed to believe that?

"That's just how she copes, Maya said it's an habit that'll fade with time," she assured me.

Just like how eating diverted my attention away from Oliver. How it became my coping mechanism for those weeks, that was how acting tough helped Jade survive falling into a pit of low self esteem.

As we finished with our hair and headed back home, I looked out the window and replayed my conversation with Mom again. That was my Mom telling me to try to understand Jade and her need to dominate everyone's life including mine.

Jade saw me as a mirror of herself and she didn't like that. She wanted to get seen as her own person and that wasn't a bad thing.

As we entered into the house, our conversation still had me trying to arrange my line of thoughts. Jace walked by me and tapped my shoulder with a smile.

He whistled, "Your hair looks like Jade's, I like it," smiled and passed by me to go greet Mom.

"I am my own person, understand that." I heard Jade's mumble as she walked away from the living room, with her phone in her hand. My brows furrowed in confusion as I watched her leave. I didn't understand her side comment.

My phone chimed and I took it out of my pockets. It was then that I saw that Jesse had replied to the message I sent him in the morning.

I wanted to apologize for sending you away that day, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have.

•Is that all you have to say to me?

My brows lined up to a frown at that. What did he want me to say, I didn't have the courage to tell him the other things I wanted to tell him.

•Yeah, I guess

Well then, June
I think we should talk more when you have more things to say to me.

My Saturday, ruined.

💨March 19th
xx