19. {Ride}

Three days went by, I became used to the sense of protection everyone showed me. My mother felt the need to ask me if I was doing alright every passing hour. Jace knocked on my room to check if I was in from time to time, maybe he didn't know he was being obvious. He was clearly trying to make sure I hadn't run, again.

Please don't leave that was what Jace's and everyone's action screamed to me. Well, everyone except Jade. She didn't miraculously start treating me nicely or bother if I was okay or not. I was okay knowing she didn't have to drop her monstrosity towards me. Although she hadn't been saying much to me, it wasn't like before but it wasn't like she changed either.

As the rain hit the exterior of the house with loud noise, I couldn't help but think about Jesse. I wanted to see Jesse but there was no way I could see him. He made me happy, no doubt.

Once I was done eating, I grabbed my bottle of water and went to the living room. I found Jace sitting down on the chair as he stared at the television playing his favorite sport. I sat down beside him and rested my head on his shoulder.

I wanted to tell him to stop tormenting himself. He didn't know his friend was a demon, that wasn't his fault. I needed him to know that.

"You okay?" He asked me as he wrapped his hands around my shoulder.

"Yeah, I think." I responded slowly getting distracted by the TV. I think I was doing fine, I felt protected, everyone was watching me and that weirdly felt like a good thing. I wasn't horrified about Oliver coming back here, because this time, it felt like if I called for help, they'd actually hear. Besides, the police were out looking for him anyways.

I drank water from my bottle and drank more as it felt strange that there was still space in my stomach.

Water didn't do much, but I was hanging in there.

THURSDAY

It was the first time I switched my phone back on since the past weeks, by now that accessory had lost a meaning in my life. My door suddenly opened and I looked back from my phone screen to find Jade. I ignored her and turned back to my laptop hoping she'd somehow tell me her purpose of visit.

"What have you done to Lisa's brother?" She asked me, deadpan.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked her, not turning to her one bit.

"Why's he here again?" She asked me again.

I turned to her and hauled myself out of my chair. "Jesse is here?" I asked her and she nodded with her usual blank expression.

"And don't even think of running away with him just because our parents went to visit the police, I can't even start to answer their questions about your whereabouts again," she said before leaving.

I wondered if that was that her way of telling me please don't leave?

I looked myself in the mirror, I wondered if I looked okay. I wasn't sure, this had been the same face I had since so I couldn't tell if it'd be okay for Jesse.

I left the room and went down the stairs to find him standing at the front of the couch.

"Jesse..." I trailed off as I saw that he really was here, back in my house.

"I tried calling you, June. I'm sorry I left the way I did." He started as he looked for more things to say. The worry on his face was evident so I went forward to hug him, to ease his tension.

"I thought about you yesterday when it rained," I told him. He wrapped his hands around me as he replied, "me too."

As we settled down on the chair in the living room, Jesse held my hands and he looked like he was dying to tell me something.

"Are you okay?" He asked me.

"Yeah," I nodded and watched him. "Why'd you come?"

"I'm leaving for school soon," he told me.

"How soon?" I asked him.

"Next week," he answered me. "Look June, I just need you to promise me that if anything ever happens, you'll call me," he asked me.

"I will," I answered him with a small smile.

"And you can always talk to Raven, she'll be there to help you," he continued.

As I watched him try earnestly to make sure I was okay, I held onto my chest knowing the familiar feeling that crept into my heart, Jesse was too good.

"Do you want to go somewhere?" He asked me. I nodded immediately with a smile as he let me go change. I climbed up the stairs and went to Jade first.

"I'm going out with Jesse," I announced to her.

"Do whatever, just come back before our parents do before Jace thinks that I did something to you while he was away," she waved it off and shooed me away.

•••••

As we walked into the park, and to the rides section, I turned to Jesse.

"Why are we here instead of the waterfall?" I asked him.

He turned to me with a nervous smile, "You know, I'm actually scared of the rides," he told me.

"I knew it," I nudged him slightly before I continued, "but they're fun sometimes." I told him with a reassuring smile to which he nodded.

We got on the rides, Jesse held my hands and breathed deeply as we were about to start. The way he yelled as we started to descend the steep slope, it made me laugh. The way the air hit my hair to a part of my face, I started to look at Jesse once again.

"It's not actually that bad," he turned to me with a smile which soon turned to horror as we descended another slope.

Seeing him smile made me smile too.

💨March 17thxx

💨March 17th
xx