27. {Pieces of Peace}

I wasn't sure of how I felt as the trial ended. I didn't know if I could be happy or sad. Darcy walked up to me with a smile on her face, the tears seemed to have disappeared from her face.

"I am so sorry what Oliver did to you, June." She pulled me into a hug immediately. "If only I had said something about it sooner, none of it would have happened to you."

I shook my head and tried to assure her as we drew apart, "No, no, I am really grateful that you showed up today, how did you find out?" I asked her.

"Your sister kind of found me, told me about everything and made me promise to show up. Trust me, it was a whole lot but I really sympathize with you," she told me. "You've been brave, it's a thing to be proud of."

"Thank you, Darcy." I smiled back at her.

Now, I was happy.

As Darcy walked away, my parents and siblings were still with the lawyer. I started to walk up to them when I felt someone's gaze on me. I turned back to find Jesse standing next to the wall, with a small smile on his face.

Once we made eye contacts, he took that as his cue and walked towards me.

"Hey," he greeted me.

I nodded to him and replied, "Hi, Jesse."

He continued to stare at me with a small smile on his face, "you did well in there."

I nodded again, "thanks."

As we stood there watching each other with some words dying to be said, my mother came to me with wide open arms,

"I am so proud of you, baby." She hugged me from behind. I smiled at her and hugged her back.

As I watched Jade stand behind her with her arms behind her back, it was the first time I noticed the smile on her face. It felt like a mask had fallen off of her face.

As I saw that face, I could immediately see the resemblance that my Mom talked about. But how could people not differentiate, Jade was a really brave individual.

Before, I didn't have to look at Jade's face twice to know that she was the one. In fact, I only needed to hear the things that she had to say, but now my mind could only go to what Maya said.

Jade saw me as her competition? Pfft I was no where close to her and she had to know that.

As I left my mom who was asking Jesse about how medical school was going, I walked up to Jade and her brows seemed to line up to a frown as she watched me approach her.

"What?" She asked me immediately.

I didn't say anything to her. I just extended my arms and pulled her into a hug. She resisted as she asked me,

"What are you doing, June?"

"Thank you, Jade, I mean it." I replied her and noticed her resistance disappear immediately as her hands traced my back contemplating whether or not to hug me back.

"It's over now," I heard her say before we pulled apart. I could still see the little smile on Jade's face as we broke the hug, it was like looking through a mirror.

As Lisa yelled my name from a distance with very visible excitement radiating off of her, I smiled until she got to me.

"Hi Melisa!" We immediately pulled into a hug and she patted my back continuously.

"How does it feel putting him behind the bars?" She asked me.

I heaved a sigh and replied her, "peace, it feels like peace."

That's what it felt like.

💨May 4th xx

💨May 4th
xx