10. {Deafening silence}

Melisa Parker
Yo, it's Lisa
•Yesterday was fun, we should totally go out again sometime.

I stared blankly at the message on my phone screen. I had no one to ask. But as I remembered going back home meant going back to the only place where Oliver had access to me, it meant going back to the same place where Jade lived. I didn't want any of that and so I texted Lisa about needing help, and she came through.

•••••

Lisa took her brother's car and came to pick me. She didn't throw me many questions like I thought she would, she was wholly delighted that I decided to come crash at her place, her words not mine. So the entire ride to her house was silent.

As we walked to the front door of her medium sized house, I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that I was finally away from everyone.

As she twitched the door knob to let us into the house, we started hearing someone shout,

"Mel! Is that you? I told you not to touch my car without telling me— oh" he stopped once he noticed that Lisa had company.

I remembered Lisa's statement as she came to get me from the bus stop.

"It's my brother's new car, I know he's gonna kill me,"

"Who's this?" He asked, this time more gently.

Lisa left my side and went to gesture to her brother as she spoke, "So, this is my elder brother, Jesse, he's in college for Pre-med," she introduced him and I nodded with a small smile.

"Jesse, this is my friend, June short for Juniper, she's going to college after summer too," Lisa continued and her brother threw me a wide good natured smile.

"Juniper is a beautiful name, welcome to our home," he greeted me. He was about to say something else when we all heard a high pitched cry. "Avery! I told you not to play with the kettle."

With that yell, he hurried away to go check on the Avery.

"That's it. My parents and little brother are away in Beverly, it's just me, Jesse, my little sister, Avery and the cook. So you can stay for as long as you want to," she took my bag from me with a smile as she led me towards her room.

"Actually Lisa," I started and that made her turn to me, still with a smile. "I'm not going to college. I got rejected," I breathed out, knowing it was only a matter of time before she asked me anyways.

"I thought Jade was spewing nonsense at the party. I'm so sorry about that," she told me. I nodded that it was okay to her and she led me to her room.

My phone was switched off, I shut down on the entire world. I slept even better at Lisa's place, knowing that Jade knew nothing about my whereabouts. That was good, I liked it, it felt like peace.

We were on the dining table, Lisa served food onto my plate and I was happy to see food that night. Jesse came to the dining, served his food and left. Avery sat down with her food in front of the television, I noticed her on the way to the dining.

While Lisa pressed on her phone fiercely, I ate and took another round in my plate.

"Geez, are you obsessed with pasta?"