26. {Trial n Tribulations}

As we arrived the parking lot of the central magistrate court. I breathed out sighs as my palms grew sweaty and the fear started it creep into me. My whole family was there, I had enough support.

We walked into the court and the audiences started to fill into the court. The lawyer in charge walked into the box to revise some of the methods he discussed with me on the ways to answer questions from the defense. He made sure he was able to distract me from looking at Oliver who was sat in the adjacent box to us.

"All rise, the court is now in session," the bailiff announced, ordering everyone to stand.

As I looked back at my family sat in the audience section. My eyes found a familiar pair of hazel green eyes, I froze in that instant as I found Jesse standing up too to welcome the judge. He saw the confusion in my face and he tried to ease me tension by waving.

My gaze went to Oliver who still had those scars from the bruises Jesse and Jade inflicted on him. The moment he turned to me, I snatched my gaze away knowing what staring at him any longer would do to my confidence.

"Your Honor, opposing counsel, ladies and gentlemen," He paused as he turned to each corresponding names. "My name is Theo Vidal, and I appear on behalf of the prosecution."

The judge nodded for him to proceed.

"Your Honor, my client, Ms Austen was assaulted three times by the defendant, Mr Baywhite in early July, this year."

"Opposing counsel?" The judge nodded for the defending counsel to introduce the case.

"My client, Mr Oliver Baywhite is a new resident in this town. He only came into town six months ago for an internship at Mark's Oil and Gas," the lawyer started. "He has been accused of sexual assault on Ms. Juniper Austen on a three times account." He continued to introduce the case to the court.

"Your Honor, I'd like to bring in the claimant as a witness," Theo nodded to me with an assuring smile.

"Proceed."

As I stood in the witness box and took the vows to tell the truth and nothing else, I heaved out a sigh as Theo indicated that he was about to start questioning.

"On the night of July 9th, what happened after the party?" Theo asked me.

"I went back to my room angry about what happened at the party, the lights were turned off as I cried. Someone entered my room and immediately I realized it wasn't my brother but Oliver, I tried to get out of the room but he had locked the door." I explained.

"When Mr Baywhite tried to touch you, what was your response?"

"I pushed him away and told him not to touch me." I answered him.

"And what was his reaction?"

"He hit me several times and forcefully tried to get under my clothes until I screamed for help and my brother heard," I explained. "Once he figured out that help was coming, he jumped down my window."

"Your Honor, that will be all for now." Theo went back to his seat passing me a bottle of water before the cross-examination started.

"Why was Mr Baywhite at your party?" The defense attorney asked me.

"My brother was friends with him, I'd seen them hang out a few times." I answered him.