6. {Bolt}

Sunday

Everyday, we wake up hoping to go about our normal boring lives. For parents, life began the moment their children were born. For adults, life began the moment they got accepted to their first job. For students, life began the moment the alarm rang on a school day. For me, my life began the day I was born and it ended yesterday.

I looked around with my droopy eyes knowing I hadn't slept one wink. The night consisted of me jerking up intermittently to check on my door and window. I tried to sleep, I really did. But the moment I closed my eyes, I either saw my sister in the form of a monster or I saw that person trying hard to finish what he started.

It was morning, I could tell by the small light escaping through my maroon curtains. I was sprawled on the floor with my gaze fixated on the ceiling when the first knock came on my door.

"I brought you breakfast, June," I heard Jace's solemn tone as if he was afraid talking too loud would break me. I was already broken, he didn't have to worry about doing it, again.

I heard him knock again and lifelessly turned my back to the door hoping he would go away this time. I didn't know what to do, when to do or how to. I just wanted to be.

"She looks different now"

"Hey, are you sure they are triplets?"

"Hey, she doesn't look like one of them,"

"June, are you in there?" I heard Jace's call again.

"Leave her alone, she obviously doesn't even want to see you. She's not used to being treated nicely." I heard Jade's voice for the first time since yesterday.

I thought being exposed to something for long makes you grow numb to it. It's never like that with Jade. It's like cutting through a wound over and over again in a way that healing never comes.

As I stood up from the bed, I didn't even bother to look in the mirror, I already knew what I looked like, the picture was engraved in my head.

I went into my closet and brought out a duffel bag. With tears dropping off my eyes every passing second, I stacked in clothes, other things I thought I needed, money and my credit card. I wasn't even sure of what I was doing, my mind was blank.

I just knew I wanted to get away, no matter what. I couldn't stay here any second longer. It was finally time to leave here and I didn't care about anything else in the world.

I went to my window and dropped the bag to the ground floor. I knew I couldn't dare jump that distance if I wasn't ready to die. I began to wonder how that person seemed to have jumped down that distance.

I got into a black baggy top and my joggers in no time. I had never been so sure of something. I draped a scarf over my shoulder and looked back at the room, then I clicked on the lock and opened the door.

I was startled to find Jace at the apex of the stairs just sitting down there with the plate of sandwiches and a first aid box beside him. He suddenly turned upon hearing me open the door, he then scanned my body and then looked back at me.

"You're going somewhere?" He inquired as he stood to his feet.

"Why are you still here?" I asked him.

"I brought you food, June. Look, what happened yesterday, you didn't deserve it and what Jade said, you know she doesn't mean it right?"

I looked at Jace's innocent face as he talked about Jade. A part of me wanted to ask him how he couldn't see that the other part of the egg was just a monster. Another part of me understood that he knew that his sister was a monster but didn't want to accept it.

But none of it mattered right? I was finally getting away. So I didn't want to hear it, any of it.

"I'm fine Jace, it's not like the person was able to do anything." I tried to assure him, he deserved not to get burdened by this. It wasn't his scar.

"I know, but he hit you a-and he tried to," he drawled, the words not getting out his mouth.

I was beginning to get exhausted and I needed all of the energy I could conserve so I sighed and told him, "I'm going for a walk."

"Do you want me to go with you?" He asked me. My eyes widened at that as I nervously tried to push him away.

"N-no, I'll be back. I will be and when I come back, I'll eat," I swallowed hard and assured him.

He seemed to get convinced by that as he smiled and nodded okay. So I took that as my cue and walked past him and down the stairs.

"June," he called me and I turned back to him. "I'm going to fix everything."

No, there was nothing to fix.

But I nodded anyways, "okay, Jace."

You know the word, repair. I was broken beyond it.

 I was broken beyond it

💨March 13th
xx