prologue

Fate always takes a turn with a predetermined future. If anyone thinks that your fate is terrible—because it is now taken a bad turn, then—it had something sweet in store for you in the future. Just believe your God's plan.

Hairah

Jan 2022, Kerala.

What do you think of marriage? It's a matter of opinion, right? A debatable point. It has many perspectives; arrange marriages, love marriages, contract marriages, etc. Some people don't even like to get married. They say 'living together.'

But What exactly is marriage? For me, it is a stage where your life fluctuates by a substantial degree. It can either be good or awful. Maybe neutral too?

And today something like that sort is going to happen. Something like fixing the date of my marriage...

I sit on the kitchen counter, a little nervous. I am waiting for my mother to call me to bring the tea for my future in-laws.

Yes, my future in-laws with my future spouse, Waleed is here to meet me for the first time. They are sitting in the living room along with my parents and my brother-in-law.

I haven't seen Waleed face to face but in a photo, well he is quite handsome. But I don't know anything about him other than my parent's words, "everyone says he is good. We searched and found nothing wrong with him. That uncle of yours says he is good and this aunt of yours says there is no one as good as him." Etc.

"Are you nervous?" My elder sister Aysha asked breaking my bubble. Of course, I'll be nervous but I am not going to admit it. "No, just getting bored. They are taking forever to call me in there, don't you think?" I ask.

"Uff. Ayra, please act like you are shy and nervous." She stated. Ayra is what they call me, you know pronouncing Hairah is a bit difficult. I am shy and nervous but admitting it will be my biggest mistake. My sisters are like that. Thank Allah, my younger sister, Asra is not home. She is at university. Exams! It's a relief that I am done with all those stuff.

Just when I was about to answer her, my mother appear in the kitchen and gestured something which I don't understand so she said, "Okay, take those teacups and come. They are waiting for you." Oh no! This early? All I did was give her a nod with a smile. Taking a deep breath, I turns to take the tray of tea cups into which Aysha was pouring the hot tea.
___

I sit at the dining table with my future spouse opposite me. I was lowering my gaze but this man is not. Does he not know that I am not his spouse yet? Should I tell him to lower his gaze? I see him opening his mouth, "So....do you have anything to ask?" He asked. I do have a lot of questions but nothing is coming to my brain. Allaah!!

Okay, where should I start? What will I ask? I was about to ask him something but he asked me instead, "Have you been in any kind of relationship before?" What? Isn't the question a bit straightforward? Relationship before marriage is against my deen. But I can't blame him for asking. Even though being in a relationship is prohibited in our religion, people nowadays don't care.

"No, Alhamdulillah." I hesitate but ask anyway, "Were you?" I kept my eyes on all the things but him all this time. His posture changed a bit...

"I should be honest right? I had a relationship, it lasted for about 1 year." He said. One year? No, I shouldn't judge people. I give him a nod with a smile.

But I kept myself pure for the one.

We talked a little more and then went to join everyone. Soon, they all departed.
___

I pray isthikara(prayer for guidance) and ask Allah to show an answer. Waleed is good, his family is good and on top of that, my parents are happy.

I had dinner a while ago with my family and they asked me for my opinion. I told them that they can proceed if they are satisfied. Just like I anticipated my sisters and my brother-in-law, Fahad, teased me. But I didn't give in. Ha!
___
Two days later.