chapter 20

After waking for tahajjud, I didn't sleep.
Tons of things have to be done. We need to wrap the gifts for the groom and his family.

The engagement is not going to be grand, just simple and humble. I was not troubled by the preparation of it. The venue and the feast are already done by Ihsan and her family. Also, I have not worried about the guest list as my parents did it well.

All they asked me was to invite any of my friends but I have none. Surely, I called Sanjana. To say the least, I did nothing except some shopping for gifts.

It's 9:45 am and I am already exhausted. The engagement is at 11:30 am. Thinking about it is not giving my heart any ease. It keeps thudding hard and hard.

Only a few cousins are coming, the ones that are in Texas. So, that too is somehow a relief. I am too sure that Ibrahim will be uncomfortable.

"Ayra, that is enough. You need to start dressing." Ummi comes out of her room in a white salwar.

"You dressed? This early?" I ask her in a little teasing manner. She has dressed and her shawl is already on her head. Nonetheless, she looks quite good in that salwar suit.

She just didn't answer me. Instead, she rolls her eyes and glares at me. Chuckling, I get up from the couch and walk to my room.

Shit! I am wearing a saree?! I seriously need some extra time to get that thing around me.

------------------

Ibrahim

"Ali! Stay put!" He pours the water all over my pants. I am already out of time and he keeps taking it away from me. It's my engagement even though I'm not the least bit excited.

Seems like he lost interest in annoying me because he stays put. Maybe, I shouted a bit loud? It's okay. I wash him as fast and clean as I can.

Wrapping his naked body in the large bath towel, I carry him out to the room.
"Sorry. If I scared you." Without apologizing I can't seem to do anything. It keeps weighing my mind.

Ugh! I should stop being some soft-hearted thing!
-
Being with Ali helps. Just after I dressed him in his peach shirt and tiny trousers, he sprinted away to the hall. Instantly, the ultimate event of today strikes my head.

Will I be okay? Staying there with Hairah, watching our family exchange gifts? I had done the same with Wafa, stayed beside her, and watched my family wear the jewelry on her.

At that time, I was in some euphoria. But what about today? I feel myself dragging from doing my stuff fast.

I have to take shower, dress, and much more. Still, here I am, sitting on my bed, fidgeting with Ali's t-shirt.

My eyes attract the ironed shirt hanging on the hanger. Forcing myself to get up and change, I make my way to the bath.

-----------------

Hairah

"Are you sure this won't fall out?" Buying a saree may or may not be a bad idea. This thing is too dangerous to wear on my engagement.

What if it falls out in front of them and everyone? That would be my end!

"It won't, Ayra. I pinned it securely." Ummi says annoyed. I have taken her ears by asking this a thousand times. But it is normal, right?

"Okay!" I look at my figure in the mirror all wrapped up in this beautiful saree. My waist-length dark brown hair is spread over my back and shoulders. It kind of gives a stunning look to this saree.