chapter 28

Hugs continued for about minutes. Ummi, aunts, grandmothers, cousins, everyone, meant or not, hugged my life out of me. It felt good either way.

Now, that I am a wife and a mother, I feel more responsible. I feel whole. I don't know what lies in my future, but I trust my lord and that's enough.

We departed for the venue half an hour later. Baba called us to inform their time of departure for the venue. They are still in the mosque, but we, women have to arrive before them. Aysha will drive me, Asra, and ummi. The rest will follow through.

Ihsan messaged me just after the nikkah. She too has seen a video. Her voice messaged, literally squealing.
There was also a cute voice message from Ihsan's daughters' and Ali's, congratulating me.

Aysha and ummi are talking with each other. I am not listening though, just looking outside absent-minded. I am getting a weird feeling. What if everything goes wrong?

I shake the negatives out. The venue seems to be not getting close. "Ayra? Where are you?" Ummi nudges me. Were they talking to me?

"Yes?" Why do I suddenly feel irritated? Frustrated? Allah!

"You are frowning!?" Aysha states. Her face was confused. I blink to make the expression go away. I didn't even know, I was frowning.

"Sorry! What were you guys talking about?" I have to get myself out of these emotions. Maybe, I am overwhelmed by all the nervousness and anxiety.

"I was saying, you should be careful," Aysha said. Why is she making me feel more distressed?

"Why?"

"People are like that. They don't know what to say or what not." Her tone suggests that she was expecting something from these people. This time I'm aware that I'm frowning.

"Why do you say?"

"It's just that, there are people, who like to point out other's weaknesses or faults. It's... It's..." To the end, her voice strained with frustration.

"What is it? Just say it, okay!"

"It's nothing much... During my wedding, people just said something awful..." I glared at her, getting the hint, she sighed and continued, "they told to my face that I was after Fahad's money." She looked blankly at the road. I was speechless.

"Did they say that to your face!?" My voice was a little higher.

"I can hear you just fine! I'm right near you! And no, not to my face but just a few feet away from me, talking to themselves. They were aware that I was hearing!" Her anger towards them was shining in her words.

I feel bad for her. Why are these people always like this? What must have she felt at that time? Hearing our loud voices, Aysha's daughter looked at us, her lips wobbling.

"That's enough. Just drive, Aayi. Ayra, don't ruin your mood." Ummi said putting an end to our conversation. Still, the fact of how cruel–—people can get never left my head.

But there are people out there, who adore silence. Who hobbies good deeds,
And never let their words dig a hole in others.  I respect and admire them. It's not easy to be among these people. It takes a lot of patience and endurance.

It's not like I'm in love with Ibrahim, I just like him because he was my fiancee and now my spouse. With the help of Allah, I will—–in the future—– fall in love with him. But I'm not sure if people start any bad talk in front of me, I could refrain from snapping. I seriously need to embrace patience.

---

The stage was decorated with fine white flowers. It was classy. Glass panels were hanging in the background. Fairy lights hanging from the ceiling to the floor. Off-white curtains at the back. Single white leather upholstery was centered in the middle.