chapter 26

Thanks for the comments. I am too happy to read them. Keep commenting. If you don't like to comment publically, my inbox is always waiting for you! Feedback is a good inspiration!!

This book is coming to an end, readers,🤐😥

___

I squirmed in my seat, hoping to reap any comfort of this predicament. I glued my eyes to my hands that awkwardly fidgeting on my thighs. The pairs of eyes that are boring into my body, are oppressive.

The minute I came downstairs from my room after freshening up, my uncles and aunts just soldered me onto the couch. They haven't started to talk. Just taking their moment to study me and pondering their sentences to hurl at me.

"So..." The eldest brother of my mother, Sadiq, started. My heart just kept thudding. "Do you know what you are doing?" It is a question but a rhetorical one. He was just getting started. I think my face is plain because I am striving hard to do it.

"Ayra, do you have any idea? This is not just a game!" This time Jumaila, my mother's eldest sister was the one to let out her mouth. "Marrying a divorcee? How deplorable is that! Have you thought about your family's prestige? That too a divorcee with a kid? Ya Allah, what is wrong with this girl!"

I shut my eyes tight. I have to bite my tongue to refrain from talking my heart out. It will sound like I am retorting. Whatever they are saying is wrong! Ya Allah, give me patience.

"Azeez? Are you not her father? You should have explained this to her!" Uncle Sadiq spoke again. I lift my eyes to my father. His lips are drawn into a line. Face plain. He looked at my uncle, "it is her life. And, I don't think, Ibrahim is any less of a match for Ayra. Yes, he is divorced. What about it?"

Admiration for my father replenishes. I was disappointed in him because he was not saying anything. But now that I heard him, I feel proud. It made my uncle somehow speechless. Yet, his words won't make a difference in their opinions. My father is not from their family, my mother is.

"Ayra, they are using your piousness. Open your eyes and see for yourself!" Hashim, my other uncle spoke. This infuriated me. Using my piousness? Where are they taking this?

Sighing, and calming myself, finally lifting my eyes, I speak, "I know you guys are saying for the family's honor--"

"Family's honor? We are telling this for you!" Aunt Jumaila said.

"For me?" I scoff. I am going to give them a piece of my mind. I can not hold myself back anymore. "Have you listened to your words? Your words make a divorcee a sinner! But it is not true! Do not forget that, Allah planned to make him a divorcee! It was His plan! If Ibrahim is among Allah's loved ones, then do you guys even know what you are saying, will change into a big SIN?!"

"We are no one to judge! Allah is the Hakam! He is the judge! He is the giver of justice! Please, please don't let your prestige get in your way of doing a sunnah. I am not doing this to gain any worldly thing, heck, I don't even want any. I am doing this as it is a good deed! If Allah made-- marrying a divorcee--Sunnah, that means He has a reward! Doing Sunnah rewards you! And about his child, what if your son is divorced and has a one-year-old child? Wouldn't you want a mother to that child? I want to give that child what he deserves. And have you seen Ali's face? The innocence is what it shows. I am sorry if I am offending you!" By the time I finished, my tears were already kissing my cheeks.