chapter 8

Thank you to all the readers who vote and add this book to their reading lists. It makes me smile like an idiot.
(I should have gone to act in a Colgate Ad. Seriously my whole teeth show off)

_____

I slept late last night. I tried my best to dive into a night of sleep but the sleep won't drown me in it. It was until 2 in the dawn that sleeps finally made its presence.

And after praying fajr, I could not sleep. Tossing and turning on the bed is all I could do. Sighing I get up.

I open the glass door to my balcony and step out. Instant morning breeze engulfs me in her soothing touch. The ecstatic beauty in front is more than sufficient to Comfort me.

The sky is adorned with blue and purple hues. Morning birds sing their blissful melody to welcome the sunrise. The atmosphere is still dark as it is not sunrise yet. Subhanallah! How beautiful!

Now I know the bare feeling inside me. I never took time to appreciate the beauty of this time of the day. I never took the time to appreciate any beauty of nature.

The eternal beauty that was created by my lord. How did I not notice this? I was busy doing the job. I proudly thought that I am a workaholic. But what's there in it to take pride in? I missed the serene essence of life. 

I take my time to regain the essence that I missed. The smell of fresh earth is like a cool breeze in the hot desert. Tearing myself from this spectacular moment, I go inside shutting the door behind me.

I don't have any appetite to eat. And I am not in the mood to cook anything.
Nonetheless, I change into today's outfit.
A modest skirt with a linen shirt. It covers me well. The temperature in Texas is getting high. Man, it's super hot at the noon.

This morning I am feeling very exhausted from contemplating many things. Whether to call my parents or check my phone. Calling my parents is a bit embarrassing for me now. And checking my phone means checking messages from someone I am still not ready to read.

Contemplating a little more, I conclude to call my parents. I have to face them anyways so the soon the better... Making myself a glass of smoothie I call them.

To my dismay, they connect the call instantly. When the connecting sign shows up I change my expression to a little more pleasant. Even after connecting the call and seeing me, they didn't greet me so I greet them instead.

"What is it ummi?" I ask her, detecting her frown. Ya Allah, help me!

"What is it? You seriously don't know?" She says a bit disgusted. Now, what is it? Taking a sip of my smoothie to soften myself, I say, "I don't know, ummi. Would you care elaborating?"

Her expression changes from a frown to disgust. I narrow my eyes at her and glance at baba, who was busy reading the periodical. "I never expected this from you!" Ummi says turning her face away from me. Except what? I am not getting where she is coming from.

"Are you going to talk in riddles? Or will you mind telling me the whole thing?" I'm careful to not raise my voice. Perfect timing, my head is starting to ache because of the sleepless night!

"You are the one who played us, Hairah!" She never calls me Hairah if it isn't serious. I fix my gaze on her. "Do you plan all this before going there? To Texas?"

I try my best to comprehend her words. What is she talking about? "Ummi, can you please tell me what happened!?" Still, my voice is low. I dare not raise it.

"Stop acting! You did something to break the alliance with Waleed, didn't you?"

Now, where did this Waleed come from? And why would I do it? I am already exhausted. I don't have anything in me to argue with her. So I remain silent letting her complete her statements.