chapter 36

Hairah

After cleaning up everything, and making the batter for the dosa, I walk to the bedroom. Ibrahim and Ihsan asked to help me but I refused. After the little encounter with Ibrahim, I was teased to the ground by Ihsan. She witnessed everything. Even the hit I gave to Ibrahim—–that was a reaction, just like Newton stated, by the way.

It's not my fault that I am not fond of ghosts. They are creepy.

It's a little late at night so Ibrahim and Ali are asleep. A calmness covers me when I see both of them cuddled. I will never get tired of this lovely sight. Without making any noise, I enter the bathroom to brush my teeth and perform ablution.

Praying Isha salah and Witr, then making dua, I fold the prayer mat and place it on the shelf.

The bed is calling me for a while now. A smile appears on my face when the soft mattress caresses my back. This feels so good. Before completely retiring for the day, I lean forward and kiss Ali's forehead.

Should I kiss Ibrahim's forehead too?

Let's listen to my heart.

And it says it approves, so I lean a little more and slowly, place a tender kiss on his beautiful forehead.

Allah! My first kiss!

I giggle without being able to control myself. I can't believe, my first kiss is on the forehead, and that too secretly. Still, it feels too good.

Sorry, Ibrahim, I stole a kiss, secretly. Hehe.

I lean back and rest facing them. Should I hug Ali? No! That would mean I have to hug Ibrahim too. They are cuddling with each other, remember?

Finally, I let my eyes take the dark, slowly drifting towards the calmness of the dark, dreamy land.

Wait...

Did Ibrahim flinch when I kissed him? I think I felt it... But he is fast asleep. Maybe the bed dripped? Yeah, that must be it. Ha! Silly me.

Now deeper into the calmness, I fall.

---

I never understand Ibrahim.

Today morning, he was all smiley. When I was making breakfast, he came out of the room with a smile and said salaam. Of course, he always says salaam in the morning, but not like how he did today.

Today, he came out of the room carrying Ali in his arms, with a very wide grin—yes, a grin. He looked at me with that same grin on his face, and then said, 'Assalam Alaikum, Hairah. What is it for breakfast?' And then he shook his head, mocking me for being shocked, with a mouth-hanging face. 

Hey, It was a shocker man.

Nevertheless, that smile alone compensated for not smiling on the nikkah day. Let me make an announcement, Ibrahim literally looks adorable when he smiles. Okay, a bit handsome too. A bit. He looked even more handsome than in that photo.

Oh! The photo! Where did I keep it last night?

The last time it was with Ihsan, then, she grabbed me to watch the flick, then—–then, I didn't see it. Allah!

I promptly abandon the fried rice I'm cooking and off the stove before rushing toward the bedroom. My heart's beating at high speed. Why am I so careless?

Allah!

My heart jumps out of the ribcage and hides deep inside the earth when I see Ibrahim sitting on the edge of the bed, his head buried in his hands. There, next to him sits the photo.