chapter 3

Ibrahim

I quickly sit up when I hear Ali crying. He is sitting beside me. Every night, he cried like this. And as usual, I carry him out of the room," It's okay. Don't cry. It's Baba. Look, it's me." I tried to assure him. He studies my face and buries his face in the crook of my neck. He is still sniffling.

It worries me when he does this. I don't know why, but every night, in the middle of a deep sleep, he wakes up and starts crying. I asked my mom about this, and she said it was just normal. Yet I couldn't stop worrying.

When he is a little calm, I place him on the kitchen counter and heat his milk lightly. I place my left hand on his thighs to prevent him from falling. "Yay! Look, your milk is here." I pour the milk into his bottle, not before checking the temperature. It's normal. Neither hot nor cold.

I pick him up again and walk to the couch. Placing him on my lap, I give him the milk. Hesitating, he drinks it. I look at the clock for the time, 2:35 am.

After some time, he turns away his face, saying a "No.." He doesn't want to drink anymore. I looked at the bottle. He had only half of it. I try a little more to make him drink, but he won't.

I carry him and walk to and fro patting his back until he falls back to sleep. Slowly, I lay him down on the bed. I went to the bathroom and washed my face. Then I rest on the bed next to him without waking him up. I check the time again, 3:10 am. Lastly, I peck his forehead and lay there waiting for sleep to embrace me.

---

When the alarm goes off, I quickly turn it off. I can't afford to wake Ali. It felt like I slept only for minutes. It's time to pray tahajjud, at 4:45 am. Without making any noise, I go to the bathroom and perform ablution.

Spreading the prayer mat, I stand in front of my lord and start to pray tahajjud.

Fajr adhan will be called at 5:00 am. Only a few more minutes. I remain on the mat, praying. "Ya Allah, I know you have given me so many blessings. You have given me Ali, Allah! I thank you for your blessings. But my creator, Ali, needs a mother, right? Please bless him with a caring and loving mother. I don't mind if she doesn't love me. I just need a mother for Ali. A mother who will care for and love him. Please, oh lord, grant me my dua." I cry my heart out.

I feel terrible. I feel bad for my son. I feel bad for my parents and my sister. Everyone is in worry because of me. I feel bad for myself. Only Allah can help me, help us!

Just after some minutes, fajr adhan begins. I couldn't go to the mosque because I could not leave Ali alone, so I prayed in here.

After fajr and reciting the Quran, I quickly took a shower, ironed my suit, and prepared breakfast; french toast and coffee. By the time I'm done with breakfast. Ali comes out of the room, rubbing his eyes. Aww! My son!

Before changing into my suit, I wash Ali. Can't he just stay put while I wash him? No, he has to wash me, too. I look at my body, T-shirt, and pants drenched in water. Sigh. He watches me with a mysterious grin on his face. Ha! I know how to get back at you, and I start to tickle him. He giggles until I halt.

I dress him and myself, and then we leave our apartment. "Now, Ali, be a good boy and obey nana and Nani(grandfather and grandmother), okay?" I tell him. He nods as if he understands it, or maybe he did comprehend it. I drop him at Ihsan's and drive to my office.

------

Hairah

It's almost lunch break when I receive a message from an unknown number;
Hey, don't forget the lunch!

Lunch? Who is this? Should I reply, or maybe it is Zaina? I type a reply;
Zaina?

Yesterday, when we had our Smalltalk she asked me for my number so I had given to her. My phone vibrates, and I look at the screen. Reply to the message, so I open it;
Yes! We will be there in the cafeteria. Come, okay? At the lunch break!

A smile appears on my face. New friends? I am excited!
Yeah, I will join you. You and the Keralite?

Mmm. Yes, Ihsan will be there, too. Ihsan is the Keralite.

Oh. Okay, bye.

I keep the phone away and finish the rest of the work. Then it's my lunchtime so I head to the cafeteria.

Once I enter the cafe, I scan the place to find Zaina. She waves at me. I make my way to them. A beautiful woman in her 30s is sitting beside her. Both the women have covered their heads with a hijab. "Assalam Alaikum." I greet them as I take a seat in front of them.

"Wa Alaikum Assalam." They both greet back at the same time.

We order our food and talk endlessly.  Zaina is from Chennai, Tamil Nadu, and Ihsan was from Calicut, Kerala. I can't believe it. "Allah!! I'm from Calicut, too. Wow!" I exclaim. We all laugh.

Zaina is married and has a 3 years old girl. Ihsan is also married and has 2 daughters. 3 years old and a year old baby girl. They show me pictures of their family and I show them mine.

"This is my wedding family photo. These are my parents. And this my brother, Ibrahim." Ihsan says, pointing at each person. "My brother is married." She adds. But her tone is slightly different.

"Masha Allah, your family is impressive," I say, but I don't know why I said that.

Then we talked about Islam and how everyone, nowadays, neglects it. Then we talked about some random girls' stuff. We soon became close. It was like we were friends for a long time.

"Why didn't you marry? I mean, we are Keralites, our parents insist we get married after we are past 21." Ihsan ask. I smile sheepishly. Should I tell them? They had told me about their life so I should too, right?

So I notified them about some marriage proposals I got and how the alliance of Waleed had broken, I left out the part where my cousin messed up. I can't tell them that.

"Alhamdulillah!" Ihsan said. I crease my brows. Why would she thank Allah for it?

"Alhamdulillah?" I question.

"Uh... I mean, Allah doesn't like the matrimony, so he just took it away. It must be bad for you, you know, Allah knows best." She replies.

I smile, "Indeed, Allah knows best!"

We talk a little more, and it's time for us to part ways. "Will you join us tomorrow?" I hear Ihsan ask.

"In Sha Allah. I would love to." I say, and we part ways.

-----

3rd person pov

"Ammi, I have to tell you something," Ihsan says as she makes her mother sit on her bed.

"What is it, Ihsu?" Her mother asks, concerned.

Ihsan smiles to assure her mother. What she is about to say is something nice. Not something to be concerned, or maybe it is a matter to be concerned about.

"I think, Allah, showed me an adorable woman for Ibrahim." Ihsan notify.

The mother's eyes widen; "For our Ibru?"

"Yes, a woman for our Ibru and a mother for our Ali."

_____

Hello! What do you think about this chapter?

Aagh! I can't wait for them to meet! Maybe they will meet in the next 1-2 chapters?

Are you excited?

Please vote and comment. Do you know it's a charity? It can make my day ;)**wink**