chapter 25

Today is the one-month anniversary of 'Their fate'. So, I am hoping for a comment from you, about how you like the book or what made you interested in this book. Thank you so much to those who still stick around and vote.

Ibrahim.
(Flashback)
June 2021 Texas.

My life has become a mess now. Coming home was like willingly walking into a lion's den. Initially, I thought, Wafa's outbursts were because of her pregnancy. The mood swings, the irritations, everything, but now, I'm starting to doubt it.

She invites her friends into the house and enjoys her moments happily with them. Just when I enter the house, her face turns into a scowl. She ignores me. Never asks about my day. She never cares about me anymore.

I got very sick today morning. My body ached so much that I couldn't even sit straight. I asked her——even though I didn't want to ——to just get me some medicines and soup. All she did was snap at me. She said that she was pregnant and how can I ask her? That she thought I was out of my mind.

I would have felt guilt. But the way she parties doesn't look like she is pregnant. I swear one time when I smelled alcohol here, in our home! I mustered up the courage and enquired about it. A glare was offered with a mind your business phrase.

I asked Allah for a kind, pious woman who will love me. Wafa was nowhere near it. But she was not like this before. She just changed.

I looked to my left, where Wafa was peacefully sleeping or acting. Her breath is not even and her body is not relaxed. That must mean she must be acting.
I tried to move my stiff body. It made the bed creak a little. I stopped in my effort.

"Can't you just stay quiet and let me sleep?" She let out a heavy sigh. Her back was facing me. I couldn't see her face.

"I am sorry." I apologize.

"No, thanks." She sits up a little abruptly.

"Watch your actions, Wafa! You have a baby in your womb! You have to be careful when you sit! You can't just do it suddenly." I couldn't stop myself. She can't possibly do that! She has our child. She is being too careless nowadays.

"Ugh! I am tired of you and your child!"
I am too stunned to reply to her. This shouldn't be happening. It can't.

"I-its our child, Wafa." I tried to voice my words in a low calming manner. She rubs her face in frustration.

"Ibrahim, can you please go and sleep in the guest room? I don't want to see your face for some time." Tears start to threaten the back of my head. My heart shriveled a hundred times. Without giving her my tears, I forced my already stiff body out of the bed. I slipped, hitting my toe hard on the bedside table. I held my wail and dragged myself out of the room.

My face was pale and I can taste blood from how hard I bit my lips to suppress the cry. When I am safely out of her glare, I spared my toe a glance. The fingers of my toes are purplish and swollen. It is giving me deathly pain. The door of my bedroom slammed hard making me bounce. I look at the closed door.

Just like that my feet gave up on me and I flopped to the nearby couch. My tears peeped out of my eyes. My stiff torso longed for some comfort. And the overwhelming growl in my stomach was getting unbearable. I hadn't eaten anything from the morning.