TEN

Song of the Chapter: Shoutout to my ex by Little Mix

-------------------------------------------

Aimee's POV

Waking up to a message from Lando telling me he got to Tokyo safely calmed me down a bit. He's in serious pain, even Max texted me that he was worried. He told me Lando flinched a lot whenever someone poked or touched him.

I look at my phone, having send him a message at nine this morning, I know he must still be asleep. Hopefully, he'll have some of his physical strength back before he gets into the car.

I'm in the arena, sound checking, when a familiar person pops up in the back of it.

"Aimee! Haven't seen you in forever." Jonas, my ex-boyfriend yells. I really hoped I could avoid him for this tour, but he's an American so I should've expected him to show up.

"That's because you're my ex." I say through the microphone.

"No need to be defensive." He says, walking closer to the stage.

"Well, maybe you made me be like that." I defend myself to the guy I've shared my first year in the spotlight with. The one who decided not to talk to me after I decided I didn't want to live in the US.

"I'm sorry." Jonas says. "But can we please talk without you saying everything through a mic?"

I look down at the microphone I'm holding. Maybe he's right.

"So what's up." I say taking a seat on the edge of the podium, turning the mic off. The crew don't necessarily have to hear this.

"I want to apologise." Jonas says climbing onto the podium as well. "I realise I haven't treated you fairly. You wanted to be closer to your family, who you love dearly. And I didn't want to accept that." Jonas looks down at his hands, fidgeting with them.

"You realise that now? After almost two years?" I say, completely disbelieving his apology.

"I am, so I was thinking maybe we could go out for an early dinner or something? Tonight?" Jonas asks. "Not a date, just to speak things through. Just to see if, maybe, we can be friends?"

I sigh, not really wanting to obey. But I want to get him off my back, and I'm in Las Vegas for the whole week. Maybe he'll stop bothering me if I say yes.

"Fine. But only tonight, and you don't bother me too much after that." I tell him.

"Great, I'll pick you up at four?" He says, looking at his watch, telling him it's already two o'clock.

***

"You're going to dinner with Jonas?" Ava asks, disbelief written all over her face.

"Yeah, let's just say it was a moment of weakness." I tell her. Buttoning my blouse. It really was a moment of weakness, I had told Ava I didn't want to see him ever again. And here I am going out for dinner with him. 

"You better tell the F1 driver. This is gonna be all over the place." She says with a light chuckle.

"And now you hope I'll be telling you who I've been texting." I say, my turn to chuckle.

"Oh, I already know it's Lando." She says bluntly, shock written over my face. "Relax, I knew after you mentioned the crash last weekend."

"Oh." I say, realising that was probably a big giveaway.

"Relax, I'm the only one that knows." Ava assures me. "But tell him, I doesn't need to find out through the media." The words leave her lips just before I leave the arena. Making my way out to Jonas' car.

When I leave the arena, I see Jonas leaning against his car. "You look good." He says, opening his car door for me.

"Thanks, you look good as well." I tell him, returning the compliment. It was innocent, just me being nice to him. 

"So I was thinking some pasta? I know you like that before your concerts." Jonas says, parking in front of one of the Italian places we went to when we were dating.

"Sounds good." I tell him as we enter the restaurant.

The dinner was good, but I couldn't help notice this person sneakily taking pictures. I look at my phone, it's still early for Lando. I need to speak to him when I get to the arena. I need to make sure he doesn't see this before I can tell him. 

"So, is there anyone in your life right now?" Jonas asks, taking a bit of his tiramisu.

"Not really," I say feeling a small blush creep up on my face, thinking about Lando. I wish I could say there was someone. I know we're just being friends, but I would love to see if there's more there. 

"So bright red cheeks and not really, who does that refer to?" Jonas asks a playful smile on his face, the smile I fell in love with once.

"It refers to no one. Nothing romantic that is." I tell him, trying to cool my burning cheeks.

"Good," Jonas breathes, hope written on his face.

"We're not getting back together Jonas." I tell him. "There are no feelings left between us." At least there aren't from me. 

We walk back to his car. "Are you sure there's nothing left between us?" He asks, opening his car door for me.

"I'm sure, but I had fun today." I tell him. "Friends sounds good, if you're up for that."

"Fine." Jonas says, taking a seat behind the wheel. He's clearly not happy with the compromise he just had to make. 

***

Turns out I was barely in time for my show, Jonas and I's dinner taking longer than we had anticipated.

The concert itself went smoothly, the crowd roaring as I went through my set. I sing my final song, looking down at the VIP area right in front of the stage. Jonas standing there, singing along to many of the songs I did. Some fans taking pictures of him being there.

This is definitely gonna be some PR-crisis we're gonna have to manage.

"You might not want to check socials tonight." Ava says as I get off stage, handing me my phone.

"That bad?" I ask, before opening Twitter, scanning the different headlines.

Hollywood's Golden Couple Back Together?

Jomee back together?

Jonas Lion and Aimee Halstead back together: Couple spotted on a date!

Jonas Lion and Aimee Halstead back together: Jonas watching Aimee's concert!

Shit.

I'm barely done with reading the headlines when Lando's name appears on the top of my screen.

I take a deep breath, before answering the FaceTime call. He's supposed to be at the track, please let him be alone.

—————————

Edited 28-08-2023

So my Quadrant merch got delivered today, and I'm so happy! Got the dusty pink hoodie. So here is an extra chapter in celebration.

Did any of you get the new Quadrant merch?