TWENTY-ONE

Song of the Chapter: Growing Sideways by Noah Kahan

------------------------------------------------

Lando's POV

"So we haven't even had a chance to talk about the d-a-t-e you went on." Max says as we're sitting in his private jet, flying from Mexico to Monaco to spend a bit of time there. It might seem weird, seeing as how we're supposed to be in Brazil next week. But we both craved the normalcy Monaco can give us.

"We haven't." I agree, knowing that I barely spoke to Max after they secured the constructors title. I joined their party with Aimee, but apart from that I'd barely seen him. Which was weird for us, as he's probably my best friend on the grid.

"Are you planning on telling me anything?" He asks me wiggling his eyebrows, making me chuckle.

"I wasn't really no. There's not much to say anyway." I say honestly, feeling like that day is still something between Aimee and I.

"Oh come on." Max says. "We've gotta go check up on her place though before I can drop you off."

"We what?" I ask, knowing I've never been to her place, since the only time we hung out in Monaco we went to mine. It seems wrong for my first time at her place without her.

"I've got to water her plants and everything." Max says seriously.

"I know that, but why the heck do I have to be there for that?" I ask still not sure I should intrude on her privacy.

"Because we drive past her place before we drive past yours. It's easier." He explains and I sigh knowing that there's not that much I can do about it. Max is stubborn as hell, there's no chance of changing his mind.

"Fine, but I'm not telling you anything." I say crossing my arms staring out of the window of his private jet.

Entering Aimees apartment without her there, feels really intrusive and Max even insists on taking pictures while watering her plants. Just so she knows they're taken care of. I sit down on her couch, while Max is doing whatever he's supposed to. Just scrolling tapping through the different Instagram stories from people I follow, when my eyes land on one of Aimee's.

I will not be doing any interviews the coming days. Health comes first, always. And in this case it means having to cancel a few interviews for me to be on top of my game during the concerts this weekend.

I read it again, and again. She would've told me if she was ill, wouldn't she?

I think back about the conversation we had after her concert, she did mention her throat had been a bit bothersome. But nothing a green tea wouldn't fix. Her words, not mine.

"Mate?!" Max yells, yanking me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I ask him, turning my attention from my phone to him.

"I was telling you to get your ass up, so we can go. But you seemed to absorbed in your phone." He says a smirk on his face, knowing very well whatever was on my screen probably had something to do with Aimee.

"Oh shut it, it's not like that never happens when you're talking to Kelly." I say grabbing my jacket and following him out of the apartment. "Did Aimee say anything to you though? About feeling ill, or other health issues?" I ask Max getting into the car again.

Max just looks at me weird, definitely not completely sure where I'm going with this question. "What are you hinting at?"

"She just cancelled all her interviews for this week, saying she wants to be on top of her game when the concerts in Miami are." I explain.