FIFTEEN

Song of the Chapter: Words by Alesso & Zara Larsson

-------------------------------------------------------

I take a deep breath before tapping Lando's shoulder. Nerves rushing through my body, time seems to be going extremely slow as I wait for Lando to turn around. When he finally turns around our eyes meet immediately. He doesn't seem to realise I'm standing in front of him at first, but  I can tell when the look on his face changes to pure shock. His eyes slowly registering who's standing in front of him.

"Aimee." Lando exclaims, wrapping me in a tight hug, making me laugh. Butterflies going crazy in my stomach.

"Hi?" I say awkwardly as Lando puts me down on the ground.

"But how?" Lando immediately asks, confusion written all across his face.

"Well, I was in the neighbourhood." I say with a chuckle, referring to the fact my concert is only an hour away.

"Yeah, but you said you didn't have time." He says, still trying to grasp the fact that I'm standing in front of him.

"Well, I didn't have time to take your tickets. Because I already had my own." I explain, waiving my pass in front of him. "And I wanted to tell you, but after you surprised me on Wednesday I decided I had to return the favour." I chuckle.

Lando's eyes land on the group of drivers, watching us from outside his garage. "They knew?" He asks, his eyes big.

"I told Max and Charles yesterday." I admit. "They told me how miserable you were that I wasn't coming. They practically begged me to come." I say with a chuckle, receiving a small laugh from Lando as well.

The group outside all go their own way, but Charles is quick to my side before going to his own garage. "It was all worth it." He whispers, as Lando continues talks with his engineers. I look up at Charles.

"I sure hope so." I tell him before he walks away.

Lando is happily giving me a tour through the paddock after he finished talks with his engineers. First trying to explain somethings in the garage, but I didn't really understand it at all. I'm just not that technical, I can barely figure out how to put my microphone on. Let alone know how a high tech car like this works. "So this is my drivers room." Lando says standing in front of a door with his name on it. "It's pretty much where I do some warm ups and can take a bit of time for myself during the race weekends. I guess it's similar to your dressing room." He explains, opening the door for me to get in.

There's a couch standing in the room and we both take a seat on it. "So you'd planned this the whole time?" Lando asks me.

"Not the whole time, I planned it in Vegas after the thing with Jonas." I tell him looking at the ground.

"That's really sweet actually." He tells me. "Don't think anyone has ever tried to surprise me during a race weekend."

"I just really wanted to know if spending time in real life would be as much fun as it is talking on the phone." I admit to him, still not really making eye contact, while my cheeks turn red.

"I sure hope so." Lando says, reaching for my face to force me into making eye contact with him. "Because I'd like it."

I look at the guy sitting next to me, my mind wandering to the press that was already going crazy with the fact that the two of us left slightly later. "I'm really sorry about the stupid press thing on Thursday." I tell Lando, we've talked about it a bit over WhatsApp, but I just felt like apologising in person.

"You've got nothing to apologise for." Lando says scooting closer to me.

"I feel like I do." I tell him, feeling guilt taking over.

"Please, Aimee. You don't. I know how the media work. They jump at every chance they get to make up a rumour." He says, placing a hand on my leg for reassurance. Electricity shooting through my body at the touch.

"I feel like I have to apologise, because I wish it wasn't a rumour." I blurt out. Shocked that I actually said that out loud, I'm looking at Lando trying to catch his reaction. But he seems just as shocked as I am. "Okay, now I'm truly sorry. You clearly don't think that way. It was stupid -" I ramble before Lando interrupts me.

"I wish it wasn't a rumour too." He says, taking me by surprise. "I'd love to discover if there's anything more."

We both just look at each other, before there's a knock on the door. "Lando, you need to get ready for qualifying." A voice says from the other side of the door.

"I'll be right there." Lando says from this side of the door, before turning his attention to me. "I'm sorry but duty calls." He says.

"Don't worry," I say encouraging him to get back out to the garage.

"You're watching from the garage, right?" He asks, his eyes hopeful.

"I will." I say following him down to the garage and into the designated area for me to watch the race.

——————————-
Edited 3-11-2023