EIGHTEEN

Song of the Chapter: Shut up and dance by WALK THE MOON

----------------------------------------
I'm standing in front of Lando his driver room, contemplating whether or not to knock on his door. Even though I know he is expecting me. I am still nervous if he wants to see me right now.

I raise my hand, making it into a fist before knocking on the door. I look to my side, Daniel still eyeing me. As I'm not allowed in this area without someone that is. I knock on the door, hearing Lando's muffled sound on the other side of it.

"Door's open!" He says from the other side, signaling for me to open it. I put my hand on the handle, opening it slowly.

My eyes wander around the room until they land on the brunette. "Hi," I say shyly standing in the doorway.

"Hi," Lando breathes as he continues stretching. I walk a bit further into the room, leaving the door ajar. Lando finishes up his stretches, coming to stand by me, closing the door in a swift moment.

I get a bit worried, not wanting anyone to leak to the press that we are spending some personal time together.

"You look amazing." He says wrapping his arms around me, giving me a tight hug before placing his lips on my cheek. Placing a light kiss there. I can feel my cheek tingling from the touch. Moving my hand up to touch the spot Lando had just placed his lips. They're burning up, and I know Lando must be very well aware of the blush on my face.

"Thanks," I say, looking down at the ground shyly. Lapsing into a comfortable silence.

"You want to know a bit about my pre race routine?" Lando asks after we just stood there in silence a bit.

"Sounds good," I say as Lando starts explaining that he usually does some stretching exercises to fire up his muscles before races. So I let him continue his stretches for a while, before he gathers his racingsuit and fireproofs and leaves for the bathroom. Leaving me alone in his drivers room.

I look around, seeing some pictures on the wall. Of what I assume is his family, but also one that he took at my concert with the guys. I look at the picture, it seems I had looked right in the lense, but I don't recall ever taking the picture.

"So I'm about to do some reaction exercises." Lando says coming out of the bathroom, dropping the clothes he was previously wearing on the couch.

"Okay," I say, following Lando into the garage. Moving to the assigned family and friends area. I keep my eyes on everything that's happening around Lando.

It reminds me of right before a concert, as everyone is getting into position. Trying to make sure everything will run smoothly. People, who I assume are engineers, talking to Lando. Trying to get through to him, making sure he has the latest updates on everything happening. Everyone making sure he's fully prepared for the race ahead.

I can see someone signaling to Lando that it is pretty much time to get in the car to drive to the grid. "I'll be back here in a bit." He explains, before weighing in and putting his balaclava and helmet on.

"Good luck." I say patting his helmet as he turns around heading out to his car.

As promised, Lando returns to the garage in between the warm-up and formation lap. Gaining some extra knowledge from the team.

"Lando get your ass to the grid." His trainer yells to Lando as he's taking his sweet time in the garage.

"On my way!" He yells, before turning around and walking towards the grid. Turning around, making eye contact with me, I can see him mouthing I am sorry before walking out of the garage. Clearly wanting to have spend more time with me. But it's okay, he's got a job to do and that is just as important.

I chat a bit with the guy standing next to me in the family and friends area. As I learn he's there on Lando's invitation as well.

"I'm Max by the way." The guy says as we've been talking for a while. Lando steadily on fourth place. Far away from the podium, but also far away from Pierre Gasly who is surprisingly driving in fifth place.

"Aimee." I say shaking his hand.

"You're the famous singer right?" He asks as I nod in confirmation. "Lando told me your concert was really good. Maybe we, as Quadrant, can come someday for a UK concert?" He proposes.

"Definitely, just tell Lando and I'll hit you up." I tell him, watching the screen intensly. One of the cars in front of him, Charles Leclerc, spinning of the track. Keeping the car out of the wall but falling back to fifth place.

We cheer as we see Lando approaching the checkered flag. Bringing home the podium for McLaren.

We follow the mechanics to parc ferme, where we wait for Lando to put his car in front of the number three sign. Max and I stand a bit to the side of the engineers and mechanics as Lando celebrates with them. Before looking around and spotting both Max and I. He jumps into our arms as well, before being ushered away. Having to do all the things that come with finishing on the podium.

We watch as Red Bull is crowned constructors champions, as Max and Checo are given their trophies. But we cheer the loudest when the official hands Lando his trophy. A bright smile on his face.

Max and I go to the McLaren hospitality, Ava having texted me to have a fun night. "So Lando's taking you out tonight, isn't he?" Max asks as we sit down, I just look at him not believing what he just said. Thinking Lando wouldn't have told anyone. "Don't worry, he was rambling and he accidentally told me last night. He explicitly told me not to tell anyone."

I can feel my cheeks burning up, hearing the words from Max. Realising that Lando is as excited as I am.

"The secret is safe with me." I tell Max as we continue to talk a bit. Getting to know more about each other. Waiting for Lando to pick me up, but also so Max can bid him goodbye.

After almost two hours, Lando finally approaches us. "Great race." Max says before doing some kind of handshake with Lando and they say goodbye to each other.

Lando turns his attention to me, as Max walks away. "Are you ready?" He asks me, as I grab my small clutch and stand up.

"I am." I tell him as we walk through the paddock, I look at the paparazzi standing outside of the gates muttering some swear words to myself in Dutch. "We shouldn't go out there together." I tell Lando, not wanting to feed the already existing rumours.

"Let me get George and Max, let's figure this out." He says, before dialing what I assume is one of their numbers.

Within no time, the whole group of drivers that was at my concert including Carlos and the attending girlfriends are with us. All of us exiting the paddock together. Taking some of the attention away from Lando and I, as I quickly climb into his car.

—————-
Edited 4-11-2023