Chapter 5 - Apologies

Rap rap rap

Someone was knocking on my door. And that someone was Caleb.

God, would this kid never give it a break!

"Go away Caleb!" I called through the door before turning back to face the window.

I was in the same position from when Caleb had first come to see me. Laid down on the edge of my bed with my back facing towards the door.

"I'm not Caleb,"

A deep and rough voice came from where my door was. Deeper than Caleb's voice was - Ace

I sat up in alarm from my laid down position to find my older brother standing in the entrance of the door, having just opened it.

Ace didn't do anything at first, just scrutinized me with his electric blue eyes. One of his hands was still holding onto the door handle, with his other laying down at his side. My brother was wearing the same clothes he'd picked me up in - black jeans and a tight black shirt - so I assumed he hadn't done much since our little fight in the car.

I was shocked to say the least.

What was he doing here?

I didn't know what to do so I didn't do anything. Just sat there, on my bed with both hands supporting my back so I was propped up. The position I was in allowed me to jump up in a split second if needed, which I was grateful for but I don't think I'll need it. I hope I won't need it.

Ace dropped his gaze from me onto the floor before entering my room and walking towards the bed. Towards me. But he did something I wasn't expecting.

Instead of walking around my full sized bed towards me. Ace stopped at the bottom of my bed, turning around and sat down so he was sitting on the edge of my bed. My brother slumped his shoulders with his hands in his lap, facing away from me.

What was he doing?

About two minutes went by with neither of us doing anything to change the situation we were in currently before Ace broke the trans.

My brother turned around so he was facing me and in one quick motion he waved his right arm to motion for me to come to him before turning back away from me.

I slowly eased myself up from the bed and started to make slow, deliberate steps towards my older brother. Confusion and a little bit of fear evident on my face.

Once I got within arms length of my brother I stopped as he finally lifted his head from the ground to look at me.

Ace showed a small - barely visible - smile on his lips as he reached out to grab both of my hands.

I gasped as my brother pulled me towards him, but my legs complied nonetheless. Ace dragged me all the way over to him so I was standing right in front of his legs with our legs practically touching.

Ace and I maintained eye contact - even though it was hard for me.

Suddenly, but still slowly to not scare me, my brother moved his and I's arms so my back was turned towards him before I felt his big and muscular arms wrap around my waist and pull my small body into his lap.

I was now sitting on my brother's lap with my back leaning against his chest and his head sat buried in my hair, on top of my shoulder. My hands stayed in my lap, whereas his were tightly wrapped around my waist, pulling me in closer.

I knew what he was doing.

My brother only did this when he really wanted to talk about something with me. Usually something heavy. But this was the only way Ace would ever speak full sentences one after another and have big, real conversations. Not just him making gestures and speaking here and there and the other person speaking.