Chapter 19 - Date?

One minute. Just one more minute left.

I was currently sitting in sixth period English class right now doing a timed write. The first 45 minutes of class was just my teacher Mrs. Harris going over the rules and giving us helpful tips on how to write our paragraph well.

The next 40 minutes was just time for us to write. Had to be hand written and you had to turn it in right as the bell rang no matter if you had finished or not.

Usually I was pretty good with timed writes and didn't get too stressed out about them because English was probably my best class. But today ... it wasn't going so well for me.

One of those reasons is because of all of the weekend stress with Zane and telling my brother and his best friend ... well kinda best friend ... about it. So it has kinda been a stressful weekend and I haven't been able to prepare for this timed write as much as I had hoped.

I wasn't sure what was going on with Caleb and Ace lately but they had either been glaring at each other, getting angry, or just plain ignoring the other one. It's best if we distance ourselves for a while. For my safety. Caleb had told me dramatically when I asked him. I wasn't too worried though because friends fought all the time and I knew Caleb's and Ace's relationship was unbreakable.

But the biggest reason for not being able to write my paragraph well was ... Hunter.

Ever since he saw Zane bullying me a couple weeks ago Hunter and I have become really close actually. And because we have English together Mrs. Harris lets us choose our own seats we have been sitting next to each other!

None of my friends are in the class so I'm really happy that I finally can talk to the person I am sitting next to. I don't think any of Hunter's friends are in the class either because he seems to want to sit next to me but I wasn't sure. I knew some of the people he was friends with due to who he sat with at lunch but I wasn't totally sure about how big his circle stretched.

"Wait! Wait! Jodee?" Hunter's voice interrupted my thoughts with a clear underlying amusement in his tone.

"Yeah?"

"Mercutio is a Capulet right? Juliet's cousin?" He clarified laughing.

As he admitted to me Hunter hadn't actually read any of Romeo and Juliet. Instead he just got all of his knowledge from the discussions in class. And that knowledge was not very good let me tell you! So he resorted to always asking me because I had read the play and understood it thoroughly.

"No!" I sighed, turning away from my writing to face him. "Mercutio is friends with Romeo."

"Fuck!" He mouthed at me, looking down at his paper and erasing practically all of his work, which wasn't a lot, "So he's a ... Montegue?" Hunter tried again, starting to write something else.

"Also no," I responded. "Although Mercutio hangs out with the Montegue's he is not actually part of that family. He's the prince's nephew." I explained.

I had learned that with Hunter I had to explain things simply and shortly for him to really grasp the concept.

"Why the fuck does he die for the Capu— Montegue's then?" Hunter asked, shaking his head.

I shrugged, laughing and trying to get back to my paper.

"Thirty seconds, children! Only thirty seconds left." Mrs. Harris said from the front of the classroom.

Hunter muttered a string of curse words from beside me, scribbling more stuff that no one could read due to his terrible handwriting. I was also a little pressed for time but not as much as my friend. I quickly grabbed up my paper and read over it to check for errors. The language wasn't as good as I was hoping for, but at least I was done.