Chapter 36 - Choice

JODEE POV

Was this all my fault?

I had been beating myself up with questions for the past hour. After what Caleb said to me I was worried that everything going on with my dad and the custody battle was all my fault — and that I had made it worse with this detention.

I didn't really understand how getting a small after school — not even weekend — detention could hurt my brother's custody case for me so badly, because every kid gets detention, right? But if Caleb says it will, I believe him.

My entire life — or really since I had met Caleb — I had trusted him. He was my brother's best friend — and only friend that I got to meet — and I absolutely adored my brother, so of course I adored his friend. I trust Caleb's opinion and his judgment, I trust everything about him. And that means ... I fucked up today, badly.

For the past hour I have also tried to get some homework done that I wasn't able to do during detention. But no matter how hard I try to write my notes, I just can't focus!

Focusing during school and while doing homework has never really been an issue for me at all. I always feel motivated to do my work well. So now that just doing a simple task such as notes gets me sidetracked I know this is bad.

Maybe if I told my teachers what was going on at home, they'd go easier on me? — No. That wouldn't work. I can't tell anyone.

"Come in?" I called towards my door when I heard a stern knocking.

Ace. I knew it was my brother because he told me that he would come speak to me after he had a little talk with Caleb. Plus, Caleb rarely knocks, he just barges in and Ace's knocks are always super loud, like the one right now.

After getting my permission to come in, both of my gigantic brothers stepped into the room, making my room, and me, feel small.

My brother exchanged a look with his best friend and they both came to sit on the edge of my bed. Next, Ace's attention shifted towards me, his brilliant blue eyes piercing my soft brown ones.

"Come here."

I nodded, obediently, and came to sit where Ace was directing me — right in between both six-foot-plus giants of men.

My hands coiled within each other, and my head was ducked low, but my eyes still jumped from either side of where I was sitting so I could gauge their reactions.

What kinda talk was this?

When Ace told me to wait in my room for him to come talk to me, I assumed he would be nice and maybe comfort me from Caleb yelling at me earlier. I was not expecting both of them to come and for their expressions to be so solemn.

Was I in trouble?

"A-am I in trouble?" I questioned, hesitantly, choosing to direct this question at my brother rather than his friend who he and I aren't on the best terms right now.

Ace's eyes widened in slight alarm at my guess of why they were there and he was quick to shake his head. My brother's gaze only settled on me for a few more seconds to make sure I understood him before his eyes flicked up to Calebs. He was telling Caleb to explain it to me. Explain what?

"Jodee." Caleb began, my head turning to face him.

I looked into Caleb's eyes that were so familiar by now, but there was something different there. He didn't have his usual sparkle in there and a light tipped smile playing on his lips that he always had, even if he had a straight face on. He was ... sad. But at the same time, there was something else there, something I couldn't quite see.