Chapter 56 - Playing Nurse

"Are you hungry, Ace? Tired? Sore? What do you need?" Caleb asked, wheeling the wheel chair behind my brother who refused to sit in it. 

Ace was pretty chill leaving the hospital in the wheelchair after Caleb had basically told him that he would push him down onto the chair a million times and cause a huge scene and still not stop. But once we had driven home Ace did not want to hear any part of Caleb's story of the wheel chair anymore. 

So they made a compromise that Ace could walk into the house (as there were some steps) and Cal would get the wheelchair and Ace would use it in the house. But it seems as though my brother was just lying to get his best friend off of his back. 

"Fine." Ace grumbled, glaring at Caleb but not turning around as he entered further into the house. 

"Woah! Woah! Stop." Caleb yelled, abandoning the wheelchair and running up to Ace, grabbing his shoulder. Ace quickly brushed Caleb's hand off. 

"Relax the fuck out, Cal." Ace bit back. "I'm sitting." He said, maneuvering himself away from the chair and onto one of the island stools.

Caleb assessed the situation, seemingly fine with that answer as he went back to get the wheelchair out of the garage door so no one trips and falls on it. I quickly sat down next to my brother, fiddling with my hands as I wasn't sure what to do and how I could help.

"I'll just Doordash something for dinner. JD, what do you want?" Caleb turned to me, his phone resting lazily in one of his hands.

I shrugged. "Whatever Ace wants."

"M'not hungry. Jodee, pick." My brother responded to my statement.

"Fine." I said hesitantly, catching my lower lip between my teeth. "How about Flemings?" I said.

In reality, I hate Flemings. It's a grill place with a bunch of fancy red meat that cost about a million dollars each. It's Ace's favorite place (I think) and Cal likes it a decent amount too. But I absolutely hate it because I refuse to eat any type of steak or red meat. It's also an 'all you can eat' place so whenever we go there we spend forever there which also makes me annoyed. 

But, I guess in those times I should just suck it up because we never go there. My brothers, being the nice guys they are always make sure two out of the three of us like where we're going or at least everyone has something they don't mind eating at the place. Usually, I am one of the two of the three or we go somewhere that I really like and they don't like so much. 

Now that Ace is hurt, however, I am not going to let them put me first because Ace is probably super hungry and therefore deserves a meal he likes and something that he will actually eat. 

"You hate that." Ace responded, gruffly, sending me a withering look. He does not like what I'm trying to do. "Order Olive Garden." My brother ordered Caleb around.

Caleb looked suspiciously from Ace to me and back at Ace. After a short nonverbal conversation between the best friends; Caleb started typing away on his phone.

Damn it, Cal, you're suppose to side with me! 

Unfortunately, growing up in a family with two best friend for your older brothers, I am usually the odd man out. With both of them agreeing on things I disagree with. Sometimes Ace takes my side over Caleb's though which is always pretty exciting when it happens. 

"Wait no! Caleb, stop. Both of you guys don't like Olive Garden!" I waved my hands in front of my face, leaning over the table to try to grab Cal's phone from him, but Ace grabbed me and put me back down on the chair.