Chapter 20 - Dance the Night Away

"Oh my god Caleb! I need to go!"

"I know I know. Just promise me you'll be safe." He responded, sending me a meaningful look.

I rolled my eyes. "Nothing is going to happen."

I was so excited for today.

Tonight was the dance! And I was going with Hunter.

Jess, Aubrey, and I all decided that we wanted to get ready together so we were meeting at Jess's house at five o'clock even though the dance only started at seven o'clock.

My brother was originally supposed to drop me off because he insisted that he wanted to but like ten minutes before we were supposed to leave he got this super urgent work call and had to leave.

So Caleb quickly got into the car and drove me to Jess's but he hasn't let me out yet.

For the past five whole minutes Cal has kept the door locked so I can't get out while he's droned on and on about all these rules to "keep me safe."

No kissing.

Check the punch bowl, just in case it's spiked.

Make sure you're always with one of your friends.

He just needs to chill in my opinion.

This dance is supposed to be a whole school thing so grades freshman through senior or ninth through twelve, but from what I've heard from Jess most of the upperclassmen think that it's lame and doesn't go.

The school just puts on this dance for freshmen and sophomores because they don't get a Junior Prom or Senior Ball.

I didn't really care, either way I was excited.

Hunter and I were just going to meet at the dance along with Justin and Ezra. Justin and Aubrey did end up going together and Ezra asked Katie Wright so Katie was also meeting us. Jess also got someone to ask her. His name was Brad and I know that he's on the freshman football team from Jess, but other than that I really don't know anything about him.

I guess I will meet him tonight though.

"Alright, you can go." Caleb sighed, leaning back in his chair and unlocking the door. Finally.

"Thanks. I'll see you tonight." My brother seemed to be super caught up with work so I knew that Caleb would be picking me up for the dance.

He nodded. "I'll pick you up at 9:30 in front of the school. Text me if you want a pick up earlier, I'll come right away." He assured me, looking serious.

"I know I know ... but what if I want a later pick up?"

The dance was supposed to end at 9-9:30 so I thought the pick up time was reasonable because I wasn't doing anything after. But I liked poking Caleb's buttons sometimes.

"Maybe 10. Just text me." Cal added.

I grinned and opened the door, walking to the back to grab my dress and shoes for tonight because my friends and I were going to get ready together.

"Byeee!" I called to my honorary brother as I ran up to the front door.

My finger came to push on the ring doorbell to the right of the front door. I rocked back and forth on my heels, but not for long before two bright faces opened the door.

"Jodee!" Aubrey and Jess screamed at the same time, throwing the door open and immediately crushing me in a hug.

"Hi!" I laughed, awkwardly hugging my best friends back because I had a lot of stuff in my hands.