Chapter 60 - Surprise!

Winter Break was less than a week away. And believe me I was ready for it!

I might have missed a ton of school with my brother being in the hospital and having to go to court hearings because of my father. But even being back for the short amount of time I was, it was a lot. I just need a break. But after the two week winter break I'm sure I'll be wanting another.

It's wasn't that I hated school or hated being there. Because I didn't mind school and I loved seeing my friends. But just the act of being at school is so exhausting and I didn't like all of my teachers or all of the kids. Plus, there were a lot of better things I could be doing.  

Normally, my family and I don't really do much for winter break. We stay home because Ace doesn't like traveling and I'm a homebody myself. Plus, it's super nice to just be able to relax and spend some time at home under some cozy blankets. I don't mind not going anywhere either because I love my little Christmas.

I love Christmas in general with the red plaid and wishing for a white Christmas even though I know it'll never snow in California (I still hold out hope). I love making Christmas cookies with my brothers even though Caleb's favorite part of that is just throwing the flour around until it's almost like a snowball fight. I love it all.

My favorite part might be Santa though. Even though Ace had to break the news to me a couple years ago (it was a hard day, I cried. A lot), he still keeps the tradition alive. Santa gets me three presents — something to wear (Pj's), something to read, and something I want — plus stockings. I'm always super excited for my Santa gifts. They're always so random and really fun to see what I'm going to get. 

Giving gifts is also my favorite thing in the holiday season.

I'm not sure what I'm going to get Ace or Caleb so I'm going to have to start thinking and fast! But I already have some ideas and things picked out for my friends. I'll either make something or go online and choose something and Ace lets me pick whatever I want for my friends so I'll show him and he'll buy it.

My friends and I also did a Secret Santa this year — like we do most years. So I also need to figure out what to get for my person. I have Jess! We're only going to exchange our SS gifts around new years, however, because lots of my friends go away for Christmas.

Aubrey's family has a cabin in Tahoe so they go up there. Justin's grandfather owns a ranch in Wyoming so there's usually family reunion around Christmas time. Ezra stays home so usually me and him hang out a lot over Christmas. And Jess's family goes to a new place every year — usually somewhere warm like Hawaii or something like that.

I remember a decent amount of my first seven years in Massachusetts but I haven't been back to the snow since we moved. I do want to go back sometime and Caleb is always talking about his killer snowboarding moves — I don't think he's actually that good. So I don't know why Jess's family chooses something warm. Jess says it's because her mom will not spend a cold vacation — she refuses.

I say a white Christmas is the best Christmas!

Ace and I didn't do a whole Christmas when we were living in Massachusetts — he tried his best. I do have fond memories of winter in Mass, but I also remember Dad getting really pissed off one year when Ace brought a tree into the living room. So up and down sides I guess.

But ever since we moved, my brother and his best friend go all out! Well as much as they can being two guys who don't really get the aesthetic I see when it comes to holiday festivities.

We also get a tree together and then at night decorate it. Caleb puts the lights around the tree — and curses while doing it, because it's so hard. And we all do the ordinates. Then I put the star on the top. So that's a whole day. Then we usually have at least one night where we bake cookies and get in Christmas jammies — I force Ace to get a pair — and watch some classic holiday movies.