Chapter 16 - Coming Clean

"So... what happened? Who the hell was that kid? And don't you think of fucking lying to me, Jodee." Caleb said

I had been dreading talking to Caleb for the past twenty minutes.

After Caleb and I left the store I convinced him to take me to get food and there I would tell him because it was more private and I felt more comfortable. Which most of that is true so I guess it wasn't a total lie.

So Caleb and I went over to a food court that was nearby and I got a bread bowl with clam chowder inside and he got some fancy sandwich with tons of things in it.

I had also managed to stall while we ordered and waited for our food because I was trying to get myself together and stop crying. Luckily although I could tell Cal was extremely mad he was also being really kind and flexible because I was a little shaken up by my encounter with Zane.

That was the first time he physically harmed me and my back still hurt and I could tell I bled a little and there was going to be a bruise back there.

I just couldn't wait to tell Ace and Caleb about that one.

"W-what ... what do y-you want to know?" I asked, tentatively, my voice shaky.

"Everything, Jo," He responded, his eyes soft. "Who was that kid?"

"His name is Zane —"

"Last name?"

"— I don't know." I sighed. "I don't know much about him." I started slowly. "It's the ... t-third time I've seen him."

"THIRD!" Caleb exclaimed, suddenly enraged. "Third! Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you tell Ace?" He shot off.

"I-I don't k-know," I muttered miserably. "H-he just said some things the ... the f-first time and I thought, I thought I had to handle it on my own."

"Well you did a great job of that." Caleb muttered, bitterly.

"Hey! Don't be mad at me." I responded feeling really bad and guilty all of a sudden.

"Sorry. Continue." He said shortly.

I sighed, taking a breath before continuing: "It's been at school — I don't know what grade he's in or anything like that. He just kinda ... shows up sometimes and starts ... b-bothering me."

"Bullying you," Caleb corrected sternly.

"Yeah."

"And has it always been physical? Like him pushing you today." Caleb said.

I could tell Caleb was trying to restrain himself and keep a calm and level head during this situation. It was pretty obvious, considering how tight he was holding his fork in his fist.

"N-no." I responded. "He ... Zane" — Caleb's jaw clenched — "just says ... things to me. Insults." I supplied.

On one hand it was getting easier to talk to Caleb because he was being so kind and I really was comfortable around him. But on the other hand it was getting harder because we were going into more of the things that happened and not just skimming the surface.

"Like what? What does he say?" Caleb clarified.

"P-please don't make me repeat it." I cried miserably, tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

"Okay, okay, you don't have to. You don't have to. Don't worry." Caleb corrected immediately upon seeing my expression and reaction.

His hand came out from his lap and reached forward to cup my hand in his huge one. Caleb rubbed reassuring circles with his thumb on the back of my hand to make me feel comfortable and safe. It was working.