Chapter 47 - Late

My brothers were late. They were never late.

Looking down at my phone I realize that it had been exactly 47 minutes since school had gotten out. No change since the last time I had looked on the time.

Most of the kids were already home by now or at various sports practices around the school — or maybe even confined to a room, serving out their detention. None of them were sitting on the little blue bench at the front of the parking lot/drop off zone — except me.

My school is pretty big and therefore there are usually a lot of cars around the drop zones and parking lots. Cars of students who are eligible to drive, teacher and administrative cars, and cars of parents (or guardians in my case) who are dropping off or picking up their kids, or really doing anything at school such as speaking to a teacher.

My brothers were in none of these cars like they normally were.

I wasn't worried, per say, I was just extremely confused. Caleb and Ace were never late. If they were, it was a max of ten minutes late and they always sent me a text to notify me that they were on there way and would be there shortly to not panic. It had been 48 minutes now with no text or any form of contact from either of them. No matter who it was or what the situation was, I either knew exactly when they were coming or who I was supposed to drive with instead. If I wasn't sure if Ace or Caleb was going to pick me up they always arrived on time.

In this case, Ace didn't tell me who was going to pick me up at breakfast this morning. But I didn't even have a second thought about that because I know one of them always comes — not no one like now.

I was also super confused on why of them would be late. Ace and Caleb and super protective, meaning they are even protective to the fact that they don't want me waiting alone with no adult at a random school that doesn't even have security. They would never do that without a very good reason. 

My first thought on why they would be late is either traffic or work. Traffic was immediately canceled out at the twenty minute mark when practically all of the cars were gone and therefore there was no traffic to get stuck in. Work was also cancelled out because Ace told me that he and Caleb would take work off early today to watch The Summer I Turned Pretty with me, tonight. So I knew that they couldn't have that much to do if he was already planning to end early. If all of a sudden something came up and there was suddenly a lot of work to be done Ace would send Caleb to pick me up and then we we got home Caleb would go back to work, or vise versa. 

Me — i got out at 3 o'clock today. is 1 of u coming??? i'm getting worried.

I quickly pull out my phone and shoot off yet another text message to my family group chat trying to convey the message that I need a pick up ASAP, but not trying to be rude, just in case something came up or anything like that and they were really on their way. But I don't know how none of them would respond if that was the situation.

Communication is a very big part of my family. Ace is always going on and on — well, not really because he doesn't speak — but he mentions a lot that I always need to talk to him. One of my brothers biggest pet peeves is when people don't tell you what's bothering them or what's going on with them. He gets super mad whenever I keep things from him and his best friend — such as the Zane situation. So, in my household we're very open about pretty much all topics — besides Ace and I's parents, I guess.

Which is why I am being a perfect little angel and communicating like my brother taught me with these previous texts;

Me (3:09 pm) — hey guys, i got out at 3, just wondering who's picking me up rn?