Chapter 26 - Quiet Night

Tonight was Tuesday night and the last night I had with my family before I was going to stay over at Jess's.

Well, it wasn't the last night because I was only staying at my friends for one night and then she was driving me to school and Ace or Caleb would pick me up from there

It still felt different though. There was something weird going on and I did not like it.

"Dinner?"

My head shot up when I heard my brother's voice penetrate through my ears.

I was alone in my room — or so I thought. So I had no clue why I was hearing other voices. Especially Ace's. My brother's voice has always scared me, I have to admit. Because he doesn't talk a lot it kinda shocks me every time he does — like a jump scare. Plus his voice is always a little scratchy and harsh due to hsi fast talking and lack of using his voice makes it get tired and therefore scratchy.

"Huh?" I said dumbly.

Ace cracked a smile with amusement dancing in his eyes, "What do you, you want?"

I frowned slightly, my lip subconsciously biting my cheek and my eyes furrowing.

There was something wrong with my brother. He spoke in a quiet voice and stuttered on some of his words while speaking fast, leading me to believe that he doesn't want to talk right now and doesn't feel comfortable. I wonder what made him like this today.

I shrugged. "Whatever you want,"

Ace looked up at my ceiling like he did a lot when deciding what to say. "Choose."

"Are you gonna cook or are we gonna order something?" I clarified.

"Either."

Ace being impartial or just wanting to do what I wanted to do really makes me mad sometimes!

Pressing my lips together, I said, "Ya know you can have an opinion sometimes." I told him, swinging my head back.

I had walked over to where Ace was standing at the door so now I had to crane my neck to look up at him because he is so freakishly tall!

Ace ruffled my hair affectionately, turning and leaving the room.

"Hey!" I called after him, running to the stairs where my brother was starting to descend. "So, what're we gonna do?"

We got to the bottom of the stairs and I grabbed his arm, making him turn and face me.

Ace quirked an eyebrow up, you have to choose, is what he was telling me.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Can we have mac and cheese?"

Growing up I didn't have much care as you could say besides my brother. Usually parents watch their kids so they know how to do things and not get hurt and that sort of thing. But that never happened with me, it was always just Ace and I left to our own devices. Due to this my brother has become quite good at cooking and that sort of thing. But when he was learning we just had Mac and Cheese the entire time and I still haven't grown out of loving these.

I had a very basic pallet as Caleb says. I like Mac and Cheese and chicken nuggets and noodles and just super plain things. I can't do anything spicy at all as well!

Caleb is what he calls a "foodie." He absolutely loves to eat and does it 24/7. In addition he won't just eat anything — oh no. He needs his prime rib steak and super fancy expensive sushi and all of those crazy dishes. That's why he's always teasing me about what I eat and even what ice cream I get!