Chapter 55 - Adjustment

JODEE POV

"Wake up, Jodee. Wake up!" Caleb shook my shoulders in my sleep.

I groaned, rolling over and away from him, my unruly curls falling into my face, but this time I didn't brush them out of my eyes because they were blocking my eyes from the light.

Why was the light on?

Caleb.

I came to the conclusion pretty quickly that Caleb must have turned on the light in the room and was also disturbing me at this ungodly hour. I wasn't really sure what hour it was, but due to the amount of exhaustion I was feeling right now, I assume it's pretty early in the morning. 

Of course, on a normal day I would be running through my head all of the possibly case scenarios there would be for Caleb to be waking me up like this because normally he isn't the one to wake me up and I'm not going to school today so there really is not reason to be up early. But since I am tired, my brain doesn't have the mental capacity to think about what the reason could possibly be.  

"What?" I whispered.

"Get up. We're going to the hospital."

Hospital? Oh God. The hospital! 

I feel like universally the words hospital and fire are the words that always gets people to be alert. If someone is like 'you're at the hospital' or 'there's a fire' then I'm pretty sure 99.9% of people would be wide awake at that. And due to my brother currently residing in the hospital the word sure woke me up,  

I shot up in my bed. "What happened? Is Ace okay? Did something happen? Did something bad happen?" I started to ramble off questions.

Guess my brain is working now! 

I'm an over-thinker, have been my entire life. That's one of the reasons I believe I get panic attacks from; just thinking so much and worrying so much that I panic. Ever since I was little I was always worried, worried about Ace and about me and what the next day would bring and I never broke that habit. 

I wonder if it's a produce of my childhood, but then I would think not because I still worry now and now I have a great life. So naturally, sometimes I like it when my body and brain just calm down and I don't have to overthink.  

Caleb grabbed each of my shoulders, forcing me to look him in the eye. "Something good, JD. Something good! Your brother woke up again."

My honorary brothers tone was nothing but hope. He was wishful and hopeful that everything was good. He seemed so happy and so relived that finally something good as come our way. His hope gave me hope.  

"Really?"

"Yep." Caleb shrugged, nonchalantly, letting go of my shoulders. "So get dressed and we're leaving."

I quickly ripped open the sheets that went with my brothers best and threw my legs off of the side of the bed. I get to go see my brother!

Caleb left the room at the same time I did. He headed down the stairs and I headed to my room since I have been spending the past nights in my brother's room. I didn't have clothes in there and had to go to my room to get things like that.

It was only about ten more minutes before Caleb and I got into the car and headed for the hospital at 6:34 am.

"H-how did you know I was in Ace's room?" I questioned, tentatively.

Cal and I had never talked about me sleeping in my brother's room or the fact that I really haven't been sleeping at all, only a couple hours a night. I always thought it was kinda like Ace and my little secret (that Ace didn't even really know about...), but that's not the main point.