1: Speedo

Percy POV

I am standing in front of a crowd of people in just a blue speedo.

While most people should be embarrassed, I wanted everyone to see me. And, they were. The cheerleaders in particular were eyeing me down as I passed them. I winked playfully while walking to my lane in front of the Olympic-sized swimming pool.

I'm not actually at the Olympics. That would be ridiculous. I was swimming at the FINA USA Summer Nationals because I qualified with my competitive times for the freestyle and butterfly strokes (50m, 100m, and 200m).

I climbed onto the white springboard and got in position. My knees bent while my fingers felt the edge of the springboard. I looked into the water through my tinted goggles and grinned.

This is what I'm born to do.

"Percy, stop showboating. Ignore the cameras all together," Chiron instructed from behind. I smirked.

"This is just another practice," Chiron continued. "This is the final heat of the day, so don't lose focus now."

I knew Chiron was right. To be a star swimmer, focus and passion were very important. However, I couldn't help my personality. I like pleasing people and making them feel better, and my smiles, winks, and waves make others laugh.

Not to sound arrogant, but I did quite well in this competition. Of course, I worked my ass off to get here, so I was reaping the rewards. My best events were Butterfly 100m and 200m, where I won Silver medal for both.

I didn't lose the Gold; I won the Silver.

I smiled again before turning my game-face on. This is the final heat of the day, and I was swimming the relay event. My teammate, whom I was paired with, was a few seconds away from reaching the wall. I was the only athlete from Olympia Athletic Club to make it to Summer Nationals, so I was paired with other lone swimmers for the relay.

As soon as my teammate finished backstroke, I dove into the pool.

My legs moved in sync as I started my butterfly stroke. This is my best event, and I was ready to catch up the time and distance between the competitors ahead of me. My hands pushed the water with each stroke as my legs swam mermaid.

My lungs filled with oxygen every time my head bobbed out of the water. I barely felt my body, yet I felt all of it at the same time.

As quick as I began, I ended my part of the relay event.

Cheering erupted around me as I finally climbed out of the water. When I'm in the water, I don't feel anything. It's just me in the water.

When I'm out of the water, everything rushes back.

I waved both my arms while smiling at the stands. The ESPN and other sports channel cameras buzzed around me, but I ignored them. It was hard at first, but as soon as I started competiting nationally, Chiron drilled into my head to ignore the cameras.

It was one of the best tips that Chiron had given me throughout the last four years. I ws so grateful for my coach. Chiron embraced me after I reached him.

"You did well, Perseus. I'm so proud of you," Chiron exclaimed.

"It's Percy," I smirked.

I don't let anyone call me Perseus because I don't like the name. It makes me feel like some Greek hero when I was nothing of the sort.

The whole competition ended soon afterwards. My butterfly made up a lot of time for my relay team, which allowed us to finish with Bronze. I didn't get gold in any of my events, but I was okay with that. After all, I'm competing against the best high school and college swimmers in the country. It was an honor just being here.