27: Olympic Team Trials

Percy POV

I hate flying.

Even though I travel a lot for swimming competitions, I hate getting on a plane and soaring through he sky. Think about it, we're in a tin-metal box miles off the ground. I feel as thought he gods would just blast me out of the sky.

After all, I'm a fairly sassy and annoying person; the gods probably wouldn't like me.

I was grateful when the plane landed in Colorado without crashing. I was way too excited to get off the plane and onto dry land.

"Percy, a lot of swimmers are probably arriving today," Lupa said. "Feel free to introduce yourself and make friends, but stay close to me and Chiron."

"Sure, no problem," I replied, already looking around the airport.

Obviously, you can't tell an athlete off of first impressions, but it's a fun game to try and figure it out. Swimmers tend to be taller than average, and if they have gym bags, that would be a giveaway as well.

I walked through the airport, already on the lookout for Reyna. We were supposed to land around the same time. And, just as expected, Reyna stormed into baggage claim with a fierce expression. She seemed ready to compete today.

"Hey, Reyna," I waved her towards me.

Reyna smiled pridefully while walking over. "It's nice to see you again, Percy. Can you believe that we made it to the US Olympic trials?"

"It's an actual dream, but I'm so excited. I can't wait to compete," I stated.

"Me too!"

i've never been to Denver, Colorado before. Since it saw summer time, the weather was pleasant. Reyna arrived with her coach, Terminus, while i came to the competition with Chiron and Lupa. We decided to rent a van together.

Reyna and I talked the whole way to the hotel, which was right next to the sports complex where the Olympic Trials are being held. I was looking out the window at the sights. I do enjoy visiting new places, it's the air journey that scared me.

The hotel was bustling with activity, and I was slightly overwhelmed.

A personal hostess greeted us at the door and walked us through the hotel. Reyna and I had rooms on the same floor which was nice.

Looking out the windows, I could see the sports complex.

"Chiron, the sports center is huge," I said in awe, while throwing the curtains open. I dropped my bags on the bed closest to the window before looking outside. The sports complex was a series of three large buildings, all of which had Olympic size swimming pools. The large windows along the side of the buildings showed the bustling swimming pools.

"People are already swimming," I noted.

"Some of the swimmers might be warming up today," Lupa answered. She was staying in the adjacent hotel room with a connecting door. "Being at the Trials brings back so many memories. I've never been more stressed in my life.'

"Really? I feel good," i commented in surprise. I genuinely feel good.

Lupa and Chiron looked at me with intrigue.

"What?" i asked. "It's just like any other practice, right? That's how I('m treating this anyway. That's what you've always taught me."

Chiron smiled and nodded.

The hotel had a convention hall where the swimmers can meet fans, who are here to watch the trials. The Olympic coaches and directors were also there. Lupa thought it was a good idea for us to go hang out downstairs. It's hard to imagine the politics involved with competitive sports, but there's a lot of it.