22: Sexual Tension

Annabeth POV

Bringing Thalia and Piper to a bookstore is a horrible idea. They don't appreciate the art of reading print book. Well, they don't appreciate reading in general.

"Why did you bring me here?" Piper whined. "This is so boring, Annabeth."

"You're the one who wanted to hang out," I countered.

"Yeah, but I thought we'd be doing something fun. This bookstore looks like a cemetery where nerds go to pay their respects," Piper expressed.

Thalia laughed and high-fived her.

I rolled my eyes. My hands trailed the books on the shelf, liking the feeling of the novels. I had brought Percy to this bookstore many times, and we'd sit in the lounge for our tutoring sessions. He didn't mind my fascination to the books, or maybe, he just never said anything.

"Percy never complains about coming here," I snapped in annoyance.

"He was probably too busy looking at you all in love. Obviously, Percy's not going to make fun of something you love because he wants you to like him," Piper explained. Thalia smirked.

"We're just friends," I said quietly.

I quickly turned my attention back to the shelf, trying to control my blushing cheeks. I picked up a random novel from the shelf and started reading the back. I just wanted a fun series to read.

"Bull shit," Thalia remarked.

"Seriously, we're just friends right now," I answered. "We figured that this would be best for us right now. Percy doesn't need any distraction."

"You're not a distraction, Annie," Thalia said. "And, trust me, Percy still loves you."

"I know that," I whispered.

I knew that Percy has a lot of feelings for me. But, for once in his life, Percy is looking after himself. He deserves to put his full attention to swimming because he's destined to do great things.

Also, Percy has so much going on since it's our senior year of high school. He heavily worries about not being able to commit to a deserving amount of time and energy to me without sacrificing his career.

I understand his intentions completely.

You know what? We should do something about you two. Y'all clearly are in love," Piper said excitedly.

"We decided to stay friends for now," I urged.

"So what?" Piper mumbled.

We started walking down the bookshelf aisle. I still haven't found the books I'm looking for, and I really need a series to read.

Suddenly, I bumped into someone while walking out of the aisle. It was a complete accident, but it stunned me for a few moments.

"I am so sorry. I wasn't watching where I was going," I murmured quickly.

"No, my apologies. I was caught up in my book and didn't realize you were there," the boy said. He was tall and muscular (not like Percy); he resembled more of a football player. I recognized him too.

"I'm Matt Sloan. We go to school together," he said in a friendly tone.

"Annabeth Chase, and Yes."

"Oh, I know who you are. The whole school obviously knows the projected valedictorian," Matt said.

I smiled at the compliment.

Piper and Thalia decided to leave the bookstore and go to the store next door. However, I stayed with Matt while we searched for our books together. Matt seemed pretty friendly, and it was rare to find a jock who also indulges in books.