31: Olympian Part 1

Percy POV

When Piper said that she invited a few people to my apartment for a 'Going to the Olympics' Party, I took her at her word. I wasn't expecting there to be over 70 people crammed in my small apartment. I genuinely wasn't able to say proper goodbyes to my close friends and family.

Regardless, I don't regret getting together with Annabeth one bit.

I wanted Annabeth to now that I'm not scared anymore. I'm ready and prepare to have both Annabeth and a swimming career in my life simultaneously. I can do both and be just as happy. Without compromise.

Annabeth stayed on my mind during the entire plane ride to Hawaii. I'd never forget the smile on her face and taste of her lips when we made our couple status official.

"This is your first time in Hawaii, right?" Chiron asked, breaking the silence.

I was grateful for a distraction. I'm terrified of flying, and I was probably a out to pass out if Chiron hadn't talked to me.

"Nope, first time. I'm so excited," I expressed.

"You understand that you won't have any time to explore the island, right?' Lupa said seriously. "The Olympic Teams trains together for one week before flying to the Olympics together."

"I understand, Lupa, but still excited for the whole thing," I replied.

Chiron and Lupa were sitting next to me while I was at the window seat. In hindsight, I shouldn't have chosen the window seat, but whatever.

My coaches continued giving advice and tips for how to behave. I could be myself at the Olympic Training and at the Olympics in Greece, but I should also be cautious of what I say and do. The entire world would be watching me as a representative of the United States.

I listened intently to them even though I knew that I was prepared.

***

As Lupa mentioned, there was very limited down-time in Hawaii.

The Olympic committee made all fifty three swimmers who made the team practice twice a day for several hours each. Mornings and evenings would full of swimming in the large Olympic-sized pool. The US Olympic committee has their own coaches that offer advice and techniques on top of the swimmers' own coaches.

It always made me laugh when Lupa and Chiron would look at the coaches with disdain when they approached me.

Chiron would sometimes tell me to ignore their comments, making me chuckle.

The afternoon would be filled with strengthening, conditioning, or rest therapy, all of which were required to revitalize and prepare our bodies for the Olympics.

During the limited downtime, I would hang out with the other swimmers. Most of them were a couple years older than me since I'm 18 (almost 19). There were a total of nine teen swimmers on the team, most of which were girls.

This was normal for the US Olympic Team, historically speaking.

Reyna and I would have our meals together when we can, the standard high-protein diet with a lot of greens. It was nothing compared to my mom's food. She would make healthy food delicious. I was missing her already.

I wouldn't see my family and friends for another two-ish weeks. I face-timed Annabeth, Jason, and my mom/Paul pretty frequently on alternating days.

Reyna would happily join sometimes since she knew everyone from home.

The week passed quickly.

Before I even knew it, everyone considered the swimmers ready for the Olympics. I was ready to give it my all in the biggest competition in the world.