33: Reunion

Annabeth POV

I am so annoyed. NO, I'M ACTUALLY FURIOUS!

Percy's flight was about to land any minute, and we still weren't at the airport. It was Paul's idea for everyone to surprise Percy at the airport and bring him home.

"Why did we agree to carpool? This is so stupid," I snapped angrily.

"Tell me about it," Thalia shouted, finally able to pop off. "Annabeth, Jason, and I were the only people on time. Everyone else was a little late."

"I was only two minutes," Piper protested.

"Yeah, and your two minutes added to Hazel's five and Frank's one minutes. Not to mention, Leo stumbling on his way out of his house," Thalia countered, her voice raised. "Late times add up. Now, we might miss Percy's arrival."

Everyone was quiet and guilty in the van. We literally picked everyone up at the landing time of Percy's flight. He was coming home from Greece today, and I wanted to be at the airport to receive him. I missed him so much, and I'm so proud of him too.

We still have to drive 15 minutes; Percy probably would be hugging his family when we finally arrive at the airport.

What's the point of a surprise if we're not there first?

"Sorry, Annabeth," everyone mumbled quietly.

They could probably sense my anger in my silence. I was trying really hard to not be angry, but they could probably read my facial expressions like a book.

"Just push the gas, Jason," I instructed.

"Don't need to tell me twice. I'm going way above the speed limit already. I'm focused on the road, which is why I'm not expressing my disappointment," Jason said.

We were on the highway, and he was driving pretty fast.

Rachel, Will, and Nico were already at the airport since they drove together. A lot of our school friends, teachers, and Olympia staff members joined Sally, Paul, and Estelle at the airpot too. Yet, some of his closest friends weren't there to greet him.

"On the bright side, Percy hadn't arrived yet according to Rachel," Frank informed.

"So what? The internet is showing that their flight already landed. Percy probably walking through the airport right now," I explained. I was feeling real tense.

We drove in silence the rest of the trip.

Then, we rushed into through the airport parking lot and ran into the baggage claim area. New York has one of the busiest airport. However, we found our group immediately. They were standing together outside of exit doors 6, near the International baggage claim belts. This section of the airport was more private since international flights are more spread out than domestic transits.

Sally greeted me with a hug, and I was so glad that Percy wasn't here yet. The crowd had a lot of people. We were right at the front. Some people even had Olympian posters, and banners of gold and silver.

I was distracted by how much of a following Percy had.

Literally, random travelers even decided to stay and greet Percy at baggage claim. I was busy studying the crowd that was forming.

"HE'S HERE," Rachel screamed.

The crowd exploded in cheers and applause. I whirled around to find Percy, Chiron, and Lupa turning the corner and walking through the glass doors into the baggage claim section.

Percy paused when he saw the crowd there for him.

I cheered for my boyfriend even louder.

I could see the emotions brewing on Percy's face. Percy squatted without approaching, and his fingers pressed against his eyes to block the tears. Clearly tears of joy.