24: Sailboat

Annabeth POV

Rachel and I sat at Percy's swim practice with a common goal in mind. It was imperative that our plan work because Percy needs a break.

Currently, Percy was having a private swim session with his coaches.

Lupa was operating the time pads in the pool. they were rigged so that the time would start as soon as the bell rings and ends when Percy hits the time pad after a particular event. For example, this is a 50m pool. So, for a 200m event, the time will stop strictly when Percy hits the pad on the deep end for the second time (excluding the dive). If you want, do the math yourselves.

This was the most accurate way to catch a time. You can easily figure out how timing swimming events works by googling a competition on youtube.

"Percy has improved so much in such a gradual way," Rachel mentioned.

"I know right," I replied.

I didn't watch a lot of Percy's practices, definitely not as much as Rachel. She obviously knows more about Percy's hard work and progress.

"Do you think Percy will agree to the trip?" Rachel asked.

"It's only for two days. I think that Percy can go two days without swimming. Besides, if he wants to swim, we'll be right on the water," I responded logically.

'That is so true. If he complains, we'll just tell him that we're going to the biggest pool in the world," Rachel said cheerfully.

Finally, Percy finished his last event.

His body tread water in the deep end as his gaze focused on the board. I don't know enough about Olympic swimming times to see if his time for the Butterfly 200m was good or not. But, based on his bright and contagious smile, he was really happy.

Chiron applauded, seeming quite satisfied. Even Lupa was smiling.

"That's his best time yet, and it's at the end of a practice," Rachel squealed. "His strongest events are the Butterfly 100m and 200m. He's aiming to qualify for the Olympics in Butterfly."

"Do you think he will?" i asked.

"Well, it's a really stiff competition. He's going to go up against the best swimmers in the country, some who are already established and more experiences. For example, Triton and Ponty Ussie are both prime competition for butterfly and freestyle strokes."

I've definitely heard of Triton, but I wasn't familiar with Ponty. I don't actually watch the Olympics much. But, Triton was popular for competing in the last two Olympic Games. Maybe, he's older now, but he's still big competition.

But, Percy was such a talented swimmer despite his young age.

Besides, Triton was the same age when he first competed in the games 8 years ago; he even won bronze in Butterfly 100m during those games.

"I believe in Percy. He's going to give it his all," I said proudly. "Besides, I don't really care if he makes it, my relationship with him will remain the same."

"You mean Love.." Rachel teased.

"Shut up."

Finally, Percy pulled himself out of the pool. His body was glistening from the lights shining off the water droplets on his bare skin. He was practically naked besides his tight swim shorts. Damn, Percy is so smoking hot and sexy.

I found myself getting quite warm as I watched him walk over. He rubbed a towel against his hair and neck, once his swim cap came off.

"Ya'll didn't have to stay the whole practice. It was over three hours," Percy said.