28: Let's Gooo

Chiron POV

I walked behind Perseus as he walked into the locker room of the main swimming facility. There are three pool buildings at this sports complex, but the finals are held at the main pool.

Large crowds were situated in the stands behind the Olympic Committee members, coaches, and other competitors. We can hear the activity even into the crowded locker room.

"I want to see Reyna compete," Percy stated.

"You need to be focused on your own competition, Percy, which is right after her event," I said. "It's best to not go out and watch Reyna."

"She's my closest friend from the swimming world. I want to support her," Percy said firmly.

I nodded and walked with Percy into the pool room. We dodged the bustling people on sides of the pool room and headed to the stands.

"It already started," Percy said.

We stood on the edge of the stands, watching the swimmers start the Freestyle 1600m. Reyna didn't qualify for the Olympics in the 400m and 800m category. This was Reyna's last chance, but the 1600m was also her best event, considering stamina and endurance was Reyna's best suit.

"She's got this," Percy said.

It took a few more minutes for this finals to finish, and it was too close to tell the order. Four of the eight girls seemed to reach the end at the same time. Even with my trained eye, I couldn't quite tell.

Percy and I looked at the scoreboard at the same time.

Reyna's full name and time popped onto the screen in the first spot, above the other names. She beat the second-place winner by 12 milliseconds.

"She did it," Percy cheered.

I smiled in relief. I had gotten to know Terminus and Reyna though Percy's friendship with her.

"This is amazing for her. She's going to attend the Olympics in Greece," I said brightly. Then, my gaze fell upon Lupa fast approaching us, her face stern.

"Perseus, what are you doing out here? You're supposed to be preparing in the locker room," Lupa said gruffly.

"I'm already changed," Percy said quickly.

Percy was in tight navy swim shorts, with the Olympia logo on them. Those were my design, and Percy wanted to wear his home club's gear. He was already wearing his swim cap and goggles too. A towel was around his shoulders.

The crowd was getting louder now as the top two swimmers for the 1600n Women's were being announced.

"It's a mental game," Lupa stated loudly. "Chiron, you should've known better than to let him out before one of the biggest races of his life."

"He wanted to watch his friend compete—"

"Don't blame, Chiron. He's awesome."

Percy and I spoke at the same time. Then, we both sighed and headed to the locker rooms.

The Butterfly 200m finals would be held in about 20 minutes. Percy needed to be ready both physically and mentally. I put my hand on Percy's shoulder as we walked into the locker rooms.

We sat on the wooden bench next to his locker. Other swimmers and their coaches were walking around us, but my eyes stayed trained on Percy.

"Got this, Perseus?" I asked.

"I'm going to give it my all," he said firmly. Percy looked determined and passionate; I had faith in him but he's also up against stiff competition.

"Just do you, Percy. Be you in the water," I advised.