20: Painful Choices

Annabeth POV

I felt terrible about what happened with Percy.

I knew it wasn't my fault that he got hurt because Octavian was the only one to blame. However, I was the reason why Percy had put himself in harm's way.

Now, he could've gotten seriously injured.

Percy is first and foremost an athlete. His sport of swimming was so important to him for many reasons. He deserved to compete and try his hardest at the Olympic Trials.

"Annabeth, stop pacing. You're creating a draft," Piper said, her voice tense.

"Everything will be all right," Jason repeated the same thing. I knew better than to believe him considering his voice was shaky and he looked terrified.

"Percy'a in the hospital right now. He'll call us as soon as he has news," Piper suggested.

Jason and I nodded, but Piper didn't get it. An injury right now could take Percy out of the game. Jason and I had abruptly gotten into a fight with Octavian. Jason got drugged, and he was just now coming off the high. I had gotten trapped by Octavian and his goons. We forced Percy into confrontation.

Of course, Percy would help us no matter what. There was no doubt about it. Percy would put himself in a situation that could kill him if it meant saving the people he loves.

"It's our fault," Jason whispered. "I'd never forgive myself if something serious happened to Percy. He wants this so bad."

His head burrowed into Piper's arms. He said exactly what I was thinking.

I promised Percy that I wouldn't make him choose between loving me and swimming. Yet, I had put him in a situation where he had to choose. Of course, Percy's choice was to love me and save me.

It wasn't fair to him though.

The three of us waited for hours.

Even Thalia came home with fast food for us. Jason are like he had been starving. I've been told that psychedelic drugs make a person hungry. It was my first time experiencing it with someone I know.

Thalia couldn't stop cursing and yelling at him, which didn't help the situation. However, I could understand why Thalia was so mad.

We expected Percy to call us with news, but no news came. He didn't answer our calls either.

We were left on read.

***

We all anxiously waited in the cafeteria. It's been three days since the incident at Silena's party. Silena and Beckendorf were also at our lunch table today; they wanted to sincerely apologize to Percy.

It was noble of them to apologize for something that was out of their control.

With that being said, they also filed a police complaint against Octavian. He deserved to (at least) due some service for his atrocities. Besides, no one wanted to see him at our school anymore.

"Apparently, Percy is fine. He'll be swimming again in a few days. He just stayed home the past couple days to rest his foot," Thalia informed.

"How'd you find that out?" Jason asked curiously.

Jason was Percy's best friend, but Percy hadn't been answering his phone calls. He hadn't really responded to anyone.

My phone calls went to voicemail and my text messages weren't getting responded to.

"I called Sally, and she told me," Thalia said.

"Did she say how bad it was or if his coaches were angry? Did his career get affected in anyway?" Jason pried for information. I wanted to know as well.