Chapter 12

Chemistry is you touching my mind, and it is setting my body on fire. 

- Unknown

Rosenna's POV

Rosenna's POV

Once again, I subjected myself to the mercy of the man painting my portrait currently. Why was I taking such a risk with this man? Why did I put my marriage on the line to prove a point? Why was I growing more comfortable daily with a man who didn't care whether he was ruining my life?

As I lay on my side, I closed my eyes and held the knit blanket against my chest as Beckham fixed my hair the way he wanted it. I made the mistake of looking over my shoulder, only to see him hovering over me, his muscles on full display, his jaw clenching in concentration, and his eyes focusing on every detail. He looked into my eyes for a moment, and I turned back as I let him finish.

" Have you ever.. painted another woman before? " I asked softly as I turned back, trying to gauge where he was mentally. I bit my lip as he placed a hand on my hip to keep me still and continued fixing my hair and the petals that were arranged around me.

" Besides my mother... no. " He muttered, and I remained silent for a short while before he stood as he meticulously organized a few more details before standing. He walked over to his wall of canvases and supplies as he looked for some specific tools. I took in the way he clenched his muscles when he was confused, the way he furrowed his eyebrows as he thought about which shades would complement one another, and the way his shoulders relaxed slightly when he was able to visualize his next move.

He made eye contact with me for a short while, and I blushed profusely as he approached his easel to begin shortly thereafter. I was confused.. as to how I was able to feel at ease and exposed to him at the same time.

Being in his studio made me feel a lot of things, actually. Under the nervousness and guilt of being here, I almost felt alive in a sense. Like I hadn't quite been living to my full potential with Gavin at home or when I stressed about bills, loans and expenses for my galleries.

You shouldn't be thinking like this. I mentally reprimanded myself and internally sighed as my hand played with the fabric of the blanket softly.

" You shouldn't think so much about this.. " Beckham spoke, practically reading my mind as his footsteps approached me, and I chewed my bottom lip softly as he continued. " Your nervousness and hesitancy are too prominent in your posture. I want you to feel relaxed for this painting. " He spoke, and I sat up a bit more as I looked over my shoulder to see him crouching down at eye level. I felt utterly vulnerable with a slight mix of desire as he ran his eyes along my covered figure.

" Well.. forgive me for being a bit apprehensive about being here essentially against my will.. " I responded, and he hummed, his eyes growing a bit darker as he tilted his head.