Chapter 78 : Nature's Law

Arjun felt asleep in her lap. When he woke up, it was very late at night. He looked around. Where's Draupadi? His heart beated anxiously.

"Panchali," he sprung up.

Where can she be in this late at night? And that too all alone. It was a late dusk when they were talking and the rain started. And now it's over midnight. Where can she be? Even Vrishaketu is sleeping inside.

"Panchali," Arjun calls again.

He comes out and began to look around.

"Panchali," he shouts again.

"I am here, Arya,"

Arjun ran towards the small kitchen. Draupadi just sat to have her meal of the day.

"I am having my meal. Are you hungry?" Draupadi asks.

Draupadi has been doing this for more than a year. They are usually asleep when she finally eats after the whole day. Arjun doesn't know why but his heart pained seeing her like this. She is sitting in a corner with a dim lamp and had very simple meal in front of her.

Draupadi didn't touch her food so her Akshayapatra was still able to provide food. She made a plate for Arjun.

"You must be hungry. I usually make something so that Arya Bheem can eat late at night if he wakes up. He isn't here today so I didn't make anything," Draupadi says.

Arjun looks at her. She has sided her food. He knows she won't eat until he eats. And if he needs more, she will provide for him instantly.

"Arya, why aren't you eating?" Draupadi asks.

"Panchali, you should also eat. It's already so late," Arjun says.

"I will after you," Draupadi answers immediately.

Arjun sighs, "Priye, look at all the foods you have served me. It's already more than what I can eat. I won't ask for more. If you don't eat, if Bharat Bheem and others return early, what will you serve them?"

His words made sense to Draupadi. She again took her plate and began to eat.

Arjun looks at her warmth in his eyes. Draupadi finished her meal very quickly and cleaned the dishes.

"Were you feeling unwell, Arya? You usually don't wake up at this time," Draupadi asks setting her bed beside Vrishaketu.

Arjun was feeling uneasy. After everything he said she is still unaffected.

"Priye," he holds her hand.

"I confessed to you....about everything....I know I should have said those years ago.... but....is it still not enough for you to forgive me...?" Arjun pleads.

Draupadi didn't react, "Arya, next morning your wives will come to visit. The other hut is prepared. I also prepared things if they wish to stay with you for sometime. I prepared your stay in that hut as well."

Arjun froze. She prepared for him to live with his other wives. How could she?

"Panchali....I won't...you...you .... didn't my words about how I was compelled into marrying them reach you? Panchali I was helpless," Arjun was white in fear.

Draupadi yanks her arm back from him, "Arya, whatever you said to me I don't know how much true they are. If it was indeed true, you shouldn't have said something so personal about your wives to me."

Arjun didn't understand how she could utter something so cruel. He lied? She thinks he lied about everything?

"Panchali, I didn't lie to you a word about what I said," Arjun exclaims.