Chapter 113 : Laws to Enforce

"Pranipath Maa, you called?" Prativindhya enters his mother's chamber.

Upon entering he saw all his brothers are present. Sutasoma and Shrutakarma had some official documents in their hands from Rajsabha today.

"Prati, sit. I am here to discuss  some new decrees with you all," Draupadi says.

Prativindhya sits down with his brothers on the cousins in his mother's drawing or gathering room that she calls this.

"Putro, sometimes such a situation arrives or such thoughts raise in our heart that we need to clarify loyalty of our significant others. And entering the holy fire sure is the foremost way to make them believe. But from now on, if any husband demands this from his wife, he must enter the fire first and prove his loyalty. And a wife also has the right to ask his husband to prove his loyalty. She shouldn't be discriminated against," Draupadi says.

"Your words are absolute, Maa. It shall be announced," Sutasoma says.

"Maa, what are the other decrees?" Satanika asks.

"Let a wife also have the right to divorce and remarry,"

Prativindhya and his brothers look at each other.

"Maa, this law won't be an easy one. This society still is patriarchal. Men are going to be angry and will refuse this," Shrutakarma says.

"Karma, I don't need men to approve this. I also don't care if they are angry or not. They have the right to remarry and leave the wife. It's only right for women to have the same. Besides that day, Brahmins didn't protest. Maybe at first women who will remarry will be frowned upon. But sooner or later everyone will get used to it," Draupadi assures.

They spoke and discussed about laws, reinforcements, soldiers a few hours before Draupadi dismisses them for lunch.

Sutasoma looks at his brothers confused. They are both sitting on the new construction of a rain shelter. Both Satanika and Shrutakarma had a serious look on their face as if they are discussing war.

"What happened to you two?" Sutasoma asks.

"Come here, Bhrata. We will tell you something life saving," Satanika says with utmost seriousness.

"Please sit, bhrata," Shrutakarma says seriously as well.

Confused and kind of nervous Sutasoma sits down beside them. Looking at his younger brothers for answers.

"Bhrata, these stairs are newly painted," Satanika says.

None of them need to tell that. Because Sutasoma felt the stickiness as soon as he sat down. Satanika and Shrutakarma sprints from there. Their back had red paint all over them. Sutasoma gapes at their deed.

"What the! You two! This is newly painted!" Sutasoma panics.

He looks around helplessly. He is also sitting on the newly painted stairs and not surprisingly his back in also painted in red like them.

These two had no shame. Sutasoma begins to think. It was definitely Satanika  who sat here mistakenly at first. Then he did the same deed with Shrutakarma he did with him. Sutasoma dreads if Maya knows about it. He is done for. That woman will make fun of him for ages.

He looks around. Not a lot of people are here so he can safely return to his chamber to change. Fortunately for him Maya is usually in bath this time.

Sutasoma sneaks inside his chamber like a thief. He was right. Maya is in the bath in their private chamber. He carefully steps in the clothing area.