Chapter 122 : His Quiet Love

"Nandini?" Shrutasena couldn't find her anywhere at all.

When he saw tears in those forest green eyes, he felt weak to his knees. He dreaded those tears in her eyes. It was so painful for him to breath while she shed tears for who knows what. Shrutasena thinks. She is obsessed with anklets. Did she want one and his mother refused? No, that can't be. Then what made her cry making such painful expression?

He checked in her chamber as well but she isn't there. Suddenly he realizes where she can be. He runs at the top floor of the place where he works.

There she was. In the corner burying her face in her knees. Still sobbing.

"Nandini," Shrutasena kneels in front of her.

"What happened?" he asks softly.

She nods her head not answering.

"Something definitely happened. Tell me. What do I do? What made you unhappy?" Shrutasena pleads.

Nandini still doesn't raise her face but sniffles. Softly Shrutasena pulls her chin up.

"When you cry, something happens here," he places her palm on his heart.

Gently he wipes her tears with his handkerchief. She stops crying listening to his words.

"What happened?" he asks again more gently.

"Maa...there will be a time...when Maa...will no longer be with us...How can it be? Maa isn't old..." she sobs again.

Shrutasena's heart pains more this time. He knows that day and dreads it with his whole being. Maybe that's what his father meant by saying seeing the future only brings doom to oneself.

"Death sees no age. People younger than us have died and people older than us may live long. We aren't immortal," Shrutasena tries to be as comforting as he can.

"But...how will Maa..."

"Nandini, we can't worry about only the future and ignore the present. We need to brace ourselves for whatever our future has in store for us. So, stop crying. It pains me to not see that smile on your face,"

"Why do you care? You said I am not your family," Nandini shakes off his hand angrily.

"Besides crying this much for Maa only. I might feel you don't love me at all," Shrutasena says mischievously.

"No, I love you as well. But Maa..." Nandini said those unconsciously but her eyes widen in realization.

"Yes you love me more than Maa?"Shrutasena asks.

"You..you...I don't love you at all. Besides I am not your family," Nandini blushes a thousand shade red.

"You aren't my family of course. Then let's make our own family together. I will buy you anklets," Shrutasena proposes.