thirty nine ♬

The rules were as follows:

1. A maximum of 3 touches before the ball must go over the net
2. If the ball touches the water on your side, the opposite team gains a point
3. First team to 15 points wins

I was like a veteran of the sport. During my school days, I was in my prime. Aside from badminton, water volleyball was the only other decent thing that came out of my nine years of physical education lessons.

The shallow end had been divided into two sections by a large blue net. On my side, there was Mingyu, Jun, Soonyoung, Seungkwan, Vernon and Seungcheol. It's safe to say that we had the height advantage, which is vital when playing a game such as this one.

The others had been stolen away by Bo-ri, with the exception of JJ and Wonwoo who wanted to referee the match.

Well, they say referee. I say an excuse for them to be together but then again, that's just my opinion.

Unfortunately for my opponents, I had no intentions of going easy on them. Maybe on Seokmin, but definitely not the rest.

"How about a friendly wager?" Jun suggested. "It'll give us some incentive to win."

"Ok," Wonwoo replied. "Let's say that the losers have to do the winner's laundry and are on cleaning duty for the next week."

"Isn't that too much though?" Seokmin protested, most likely because he was aware that his team was about to get annihilated.

"All's fair in love and war, Minnie," Seungkwan casually added.

"Fine - whatever."

To start us off, Mingyu served sending the ball hurtling towards an unprepared Minghao. As expected, he fumbled when receiving it causing it to fall straight into the water.

"One point to Chae-ri's team!" JJ called out, jotting down a tally on the scoreboard.

"Nice work," I complimented, giving Mingyu a high five whilst staring Bo-ri down. Her expression was grim and unhappy.

"Better luck next time," I smiled condescendingly, to which she scowled.

-

Almost an hour later, my team had collated 13 points whereas Bo-ri's was stuck at 5. It was enjoyable to watch her squirm under pressure and consistently fail to come up with a viable strategy - it's clear that she's not fit to be a leader.

"We are doing really well; only two more points until victory!" I encouraged. "Our current formation is holding strong, but I'd like to try something. Seungcheol, how do you feel about going in the middle this time?"

"I don't mind," He said. "But where will you go?"

"I'll take the back."

Taking on my new position, the game resumed. Serving the ball was Joshua, who pelted it straight to where I was. Thinking on my feet, I quickly outstretched my arms in order to perform a dig which sent the ball flying to Soonyoung.

"Chae-ri! Spike it!" He yelled, setting up the ball for me.

With all my might, I slammed my hand as hard as I could and the ball soared....

....right into Bo-ri's face.

"Score!" I cheered, a little too loudly.

If she wasn't seething with anger before, she definitely was now.

Some back and forth ensued. Mingyu continued to expertly block their hits, but even I could tell that he was getting tired at this point. The win was so close, almost guaranteed for us - I had to think of something to assure that final point.