Chapter One- Ada

Queen of Moths

By: Deryn C.

Chapter One

Ada

The smell of grass and flowers in the air is crisp as I walk on the trail through the meadows. It's morning and I'm on my way over to Winden. I have just finished my training at the school for the Red Guards; The Red Guards consist of creatures great and small. No fairies though. They are all dead, slaves, or in hiding anyway.

My boots crunch on the gravel ground as I walk along the path. I probably did not wear the right boots for this. They are leather, about knee high, with heel backs. It was even harder, for I was carrying my luggage, which wasn't that much, but it sure was heavy.

Back at the academy we didn't have a need for a lot of things. Only weapons and dear objects were owned by the others with the exceptions of witches carrying their supplies and books, of course.

The giant iron sword on my waist was the heaviest. It couldn't be put on my back cause my wings got in the way. My brown wings ruffle in the wind as a gentle breeze goes by. My dark skin shines in the morning sun. It's quite a nice day, peaceful and nonchalant. I squint at the sun. It rises above the trees of the forest, which is about 25 feet ahead of me. As I continued to walk towards the standing oak, sweat formed on my brow. It was a hot day in summer. Luckily, the leaves would give me coverage.

I walked into the shade filled forest as the smell of wet wood hit me. It probably rained the night or two before. I must have missed it because I left the school just this early morning, before the sun had risen. The path is covered with leaves and mud, and my heels are covered in it. "Ew." I say out loud as I look down to them. I look back up and keep walking with a slight limp because of my boots sinking into the dirt. I keep going, despite my struggle, and round the corner on the path. But then I stop to look at the phenomenal sight before me. There were moths. Not 10, 20, or even 30. Thousands of moths lay scattered across the trees and ground. I'm simply intrigued wondering what they are all doing there. I bend down and pick one up and it flies away into the trees.. I look back behind me and even see some close by too. I'm not wanting to step in and kill any of them but I must do it if I want to get into the palace interview in time. I look forward and I stop right in my tracks. I am bewildered. A fairy is standing there. She's standing tall with wings of the insects and a long flowing dress. She's awfully beautiful. She's a slender woman with a pale face. She is looking right into my eyes with a sharp stare, which is broken when she looks over and take sight of the sword. By instinct, my hands softly touch the handle.

I study her face and figure. When I realize who she is my heart drops. The fairy before me is no other than the poor Queen Ele. Her eyes have no emotion. That's when she looks down. She raises her hands. Thousands more of the moths swarm the area around me.

I'm in a large dome of them. It's quite dark in here except for the small holes between the bugs that let in sunlight. The Queen looks back at me and starts running towards me, her hands stretched out, the run looking like she hurt one of her legs. I have no space to fly away because if I fly straight up I will be hit by moths and then, leaves and branches. I spread my wings and get ready for the oncoming collision. I unsheathe my sword. She comes right at me and I swing, hitting her arm. She hisses as her blood, which comes out as a black liquid, evaporates due to the iron sword I wield. She looks back at me with hatred in her eyes, pure too. I have fear embedded within me, but then again, a scene of enthusiasm for this is my first fight as a graduated guard. She screamed a high pitch sound that could shatter ears. Her eyes turn black as she looks back over at me. "LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!" She shrieked. The moths start descending from the dome and swarming her. She then vanished. I stood there in shock of what I just witnessed. I had no want to go on for I was scared. And, after all I have been through, I was never scared. I guess, in a life or death situation that's when the fear kicks in. I took a breath and walked the rest of the way, with my sword unsheathed.

I walked out of the forest to see the kingdom of light, Winden. Dear Greats, it was beautiful. I was gapping at it as I put my blade away. "Wow-" I exclaimed as I walked up to the city gates. There were two guards in blood red armor. I bow to them, my wings spreading, and pull my identification and my Red Guard certification out of my bag. I hand it to the elf. He nods and I stop bowing. He hands me my stuff and the other woman, a witch, pulls the lever next to her. The iron gates open. I smile and thank them. I start walking through the huge gates, made for all big and small. I take a big gulp of air and shoot up into the sky. I must make it to the castle before I'm late.

I plummet towards the ground. I land with a crack in the cobblestone. I walk up to the man dressed in blood red. I pull out my Red Guard identification. The guards in front of the palace bow to me as I bow back. I look up. The build is made of light gray plaster, with gold trimmings, and thousands of windows. It's unfathomable. It's a gorgeous sight. I advance towards the opening doors of the place of light. I step inside and look around. I walk towards the open doors, which are open to the throne room. "Oh, my greats-" I whisper under my breath. It's marvelous here. The two queens sit upon their thrones. One wearing light blue gown and the other wearing a white dress, so long it would drag it as she walks. I stand before them and now get on my knees. My wings spread across the floor, in respect, as I greeted them. "My highnesses, I hope you are expectant to see me?" I say, still head bowed down. Queen Asalana and Queen Lakenna look at each other smiling.

"My dear winged daughter, please, get off the floor." Asalana says with cheerfulness in her voice. I swiftly get to my feet with a swift flap of my wings. I dare make eye contact with them both. Queen Asalana's eye is soft and caring, whereas Queen Lakenna's eyes are daggers, waiting to be punctured into me.

"State your business." Lakenna says.

"I'm here to be enrolled into your royal service guards. I'm wishing to fill the spot of the private red guards, my highness."

" Private? You do know that comes with a lot of life threatening risks."

"Yes, and I am willing to take those in order to protect the citizens, and you."

"Very well then, I shall have you come here Wednesday morning, at 8am, to be part of the choosing."

I smile at them both. "Thank you, my queens." I bow down and stay for a second. I lift my head back up and start walking out towards the doors. "Wait!" Queen Asalana says. I freeze and quickly, but gracefully, turn back towards them. I must make no mistakes in front of the queens.

"You may stay in a room here, if you would like. I know you must have come a very long way, and don't take it harshly, it looks like you haven't slept in days." The Queen says. My greats, she is kind. Her smile is as bright as the sun too. I haven't slept in days. I haven't slept well for years. I return with a big smile and answer. "That would be lovely. I hope it will not be a burden for you, though."

"Oh, no! Of course not. Now, I shall send you up with maids up to our best guest room." She looks over to maids in the corner. "May you please take– I don't think I know your name." She says. "Oh, my greats. How rude of me." She says with sincerity in her voice.

"My name is Adalyin. You can call me Ada." I responded.

"What a pretty name. I'll send you right up. Do you have any luggage?" She asks. I shake my head no and she looks surprised. Many are surprised when they figure out the discipline and the circumstances in the Red Guard training. She smiles and nods at her maids. The three women rush over and start leading me out.