Chapter Sixteen- Ada

Chapter Sixteen

Ada

I can finally leave the hospital. Lakenna and Asalana said I am able to return and stay at the palace. The Red Guard choosing must have ended today. I look down at my new wooden leg. I stare at it. I have practiced walking with it for a while. Luckily, I can just fly to the palace instead of walking over.

I stand up from the bed and grab my bag of stuff and my cane. I still have a bit of trouble. I lost a leg for Greats sake. I unclip a small latch on the bag and then clip it back over my shoulder. It's so I won't struggle so much getting a bag over my wings. I limp out of the door. I checked out of the hospital. Lakenna and Asalana have already paid for it all.

I get out of the building. I stand on the stone roads, taking in the fresh air. I am definitely appreciating life a bit more since I almost bled out all over the queens tile flooring.

I'm wearing loose pants and just a normal shirt. Shirts for the winged are a bit different. The backs of the shirts usually cut down the middle. It's like a backwards button up shirt. You secure the shirts with either ribbons or buttons.

I grab on tight to my cane and launch up into the air.I rushed through my hair and feathers. My wing still hurts, however luckily non-humans heal faster than humans. And, the witches within the hospital helped it heal a bit with potions and magic.

My flying is still a bit slow. But, the doctors said within the next two weeks I should be okay. They already removed the stitches. Boy, is it nice to be a person of the winged.

I fly through the air, getting to the castle in about 5 minutes. I land onto the flooring in front of the palace doors. The new guards greet me with a bow. I bow my head to them back. They open the palace doors and allow me to walk through. My cane clicks on the marble flooring. I look around the room, my wings now resting. Some of the feathers brush on the floor. I look over to the spot of which I almost died. Even the sword for the armor stand is back in its place. I walk up the stairs, looking around.

There are carpets along the flooring, which mutes my cane. I limp to my room. The door is cracked open and light shines through the crack, shining onto the floor and wall. I step off of the carpet onto the wood. I close the door behind me, stepping in. I still hold my bag, swung across my shoulder. I unclip the bag strap and place it onto the floor.

My leg is a bit sore. I'm still not used to being without limb. I rest the cane on the wall as I walk to my bed. On top of my bed lay something. A uniform and a note... I freeze and stare at it. The uniform is an official private red guard outfit. I sit down next to it and pick the note up.

Dear Ada,

Asalana and I are pleased to inform you we have picked you to be one of our five red guards. Beside you stand four more. Damanion, Runa, Avaylin, and James. You have proved you are worthy of the role. Congratulations.

Kind regards, Lakenna.

My breath catches in my lungs as I read the note. I got through... I exhale a laugh and stare down at the letter. I look down to the uniform. It's a black uniform with golden accents. It's honestly beautiful. I pick up the clothing and stare at it. A warm feeling floods over me. This is what I have been working for.

I walk over to the closet and hang the clothing on hangers.