Chapter 37

On Sunday afternoon Taylor got a message from Tree telling her she was 'popping round', she knew this really meant she was checking in on her, she told Tree to let herself in as she was baking in the kitchen.

Soon after the redhead walked in, carrying a small box under her arm. She looked around the room "Wow – you really know how to make a mess don't you?" Taylor cackled with laughter "can't bake a cake without breaking a few eggs!" Tree rolled her eyes "who is all of this for anyway? You've done cakes, brownies, pop tarts..." Taylor smiled "I've made them for the staff at the treatment centre, just to say thanks for all their help" Tree smiled "very kind of you Tay. How have you been? How are you feeling about this week?"

Taylor nodded "I'm ok – I actually promise I HAVE been eating. I have been resting. I'm excited. I'm sure reality will kick in after a few days but right now? I cannot wait" Tree smiled at the young blonde "how have your blood sugars been?" Taylor showed her the list of the readings "all fine. It was definitely a blip – one I won't be making again. Look at my poor fingers – how will I play the guitar?!" Tree laughed loudly at the dramatics, "I'm sure you will survive. Now listen, this really was a quick visit – I just wanted to drop this off for Jessica. Your mum has got her some gifts so give this to her after that or one of them won't make sense." Taylor frowned slightly "ooookkkaaaayyy...what is it?" tree smirked "I don't remember, just a few little bits to make settling back in easier. Poor girl – having to live with you 24/7/". "HA HA funny funny woman you are. But seriously, thank you for whatever it is. I am sure she will love it." Tree smiled, and dodged a hug from the flour covered blonde "I'll pop in later in the week if that's ok? See you both?" Taylor smiled widely "yeah, we'd like that! Have a good day."

Taylor spent a few more hours waiting for her bakes to cool and cleaning the kitchen – she did one final sweep of the house to make sure it was perfect then headed up to bed to try and get an early night.

Her alarm blared through the bedroom far too early for her liking and she realised she had slept for nearly 10 hours. She stretched her body, then quickly got ready. She was too excited to eat properly but she choked down a slice of toast and orange juice then headed off to the treatment centre.

Jessica was sat waiting, ready to go. Taylor greeted her quickly then gathered all the paperwork from the Doctor. Taylor signed the discharge papers then went and collected the little girl. As soon as they were in the car Jessica grabbed Taylor's phone and took a selfie of them both smiling widely and their thumbs up. She messaged it to Andrea with a message "ON OUR WAY HOME!" Andrea quickly posted a thumbs up and said she would be over in an hour or so.

Taylor drove home and as soon as they were in the house she covered the girls eyes with her hands and led her to her bedroom, "TA-DA!"

Jessica was wide jawed as she looked around the room "OH MY GOD TAY THIS IS AMAZING! How did you manage to do all this in one week?!" Taylor giggled "I'm glad you like it – remember I am superhuman. I can do anything!" The teen walked around, taking it all in, touching all the small details Taylor had got ready for her. Soon she turned around hugging her tightly "Thank you, Thank you for doing this. And for helping me". Taylor nodded and kissed her head "always".

Just as they were about to head downstairs they heard Andrea walk in "Hello!"

Jessica ran down, hugging her quickly as Taylor followed "Hey Mum". Andrea greeted Taylor quickly then pulled the young girl over to the sofa "So I have some gifts for one – firstly to say how proud I am of you but secondly just to try and give you some distractions – I know it can be hard after meals and you can only watch so much TV." Taylor watched curiously as Andrea looked inside the bag "I'll give you the two proper gifts first then there is just a couple of silly little things to cheer you up." She turned towards Taylor "I didn't check with you because I knew you'd say no, but you can't tell me no now I've brought them". Jessica giggled at the pout on Taylor's face as Andrea handed her to beautifully wrapped gifts. She pulled the wrapping off the larger box and her eyes lit up "Seriously? Thank you so much!" she pulled the apple iPad out fully and showed Taylor who was biting her lip, the teen then quickly unwrapped the next gift – an apple pencil to go along with the iPad. Andrea explained to both of them (but more to pacify Taylor), "I know you like colouring and drawing. I thought you could use it to distract yourself, plus I thought it was better than a phone since you're not allowed yours yet. HOWEVER the agreement is – no hiding your browsing history, if Taylor wants to check it, she can check it. If you refuse she will just take it right off you ok?" The teen nodded eagerly while Taylor smiled at her Mum "Thanks Mum, that's really thoughtful – it's a huge gift, but really thoughtful..." Andrea swatted her away and reached in, handing the girl the next presents Taylor watched as Jessica unwrapped some new, soft cosy PJ's, some socks and lip balms and then finally unwrapped a pale pink Stanley cup. Taylor gasped "I am so jealous!" Jessica giggled slightly and admired everything she had got, she was overwhelmed with the generosity – she hugged Andrea and thanked her profusely. Taylor scowled slightly "I can't believe you got her a Stanley. I have wanted the light blue one for months". Andrea laughed lightly, reaching into the bag "and that's why I got it for you. I knew you'd be jealous!" Taylor reached out laughing "thanks Mum. You're too kind." Jessica got straight to work, setting up her tech and becoming engrossed in the screen.

She didn't even argue as Taylor shoved her snack into her hands, eating it without argument while she browsed for apps.

Andrea and Taylor headed to the kitchen "That was really great thanks Mum." Andrea nodded "she deserved a little something, she's been through hell." Taylor spoke up again "I can't believe you got her an iPad and apple pencil – you're sneaky" Andrea shrugged "You're lucky it's not a puppy" Taylor narrowed her eyes "you wouldn't." Andrea shrugged playfully "Anything for her! She looks really good doesn't she? She didn't even grumble about her snack." Taylor grinned playfully "yeah coz she was engrossed in the screen! No seriously, she looks great – Snacks generally she's pretty good at. Meals are harder – it's just the volume of food I guess. But she'll get there" Andrea nodded and asked if Taylor wanted her to stay for lunch but Taylor shook her head "I think it might be a bit too much, if that's ok? We will come over to yours tomorrow or Wednesday? She's got therapy Thursday and they'll weigh her then so I think we will just come home and chill after that – it's quite overwhelming for her". Andrea nodded understandingly, "Well I will leave you both alone for a bit. Don't forget to ring me if you need me."

Andrea said goodbye to both girls then Taylor got to work prepping lunch for them, surprisingly it was uneventful and Jessica ate it all without any fuss. After lunch Taylor remembered the gifts Tree had dropped off and went to fetch them, when she came back to the living room she passed it quickly to the girl. Jessica looked confused "more?!" Taylor nodded "lots of people love you little girl. Tree dropped this off yesterday but made me promise to give you Mum's first. Go ahead"

Jessica lifted the lid and smiled widely "OH MY GOD she got me airpod pros!" She held them up proudly for Taylor who shook her head while laughing "you've got the best tech going now kid, I'll send her a message to say thank you." Jessica smiled as she looked through the rest of the box then showed Taylor the contents – some nail varnishes with a note 'another way to distract yourself when you're struggling', a lavender scented bubble bath 'to calm and soothe your body when you need it', a journal 'to let your feelings out in a healthy way', a kindle voucher 'for some books to read on your new iPad' and finally 4 pieces of card with the words " 1 TAS free treat' with a note '4 coupons for an afternoon away from Taylor when she is driving you insane'. Jessica giggled as she showed her the last item and Taylor grinned sarcastically "driving you insane? NEVER!"

Jessica laughed slightly then put it all away carefully, "Seriously Taylor, tell her I said thank you. This is too kind" Taylor nodded "I will but I think she's coming over later in the week again so you can thank her yourself." Jessica grinned "OK!"

Taylor put the three new devices on charge so they would be ready for the teen after dinner then asked her "Do you want to have a bath or shower? You can wash your hair, put your new PJ's on, we can snuggle up until later?" The teen nodded "Oh my god yes, a proper shower, unsupervised will be so great. I have been waiting for this day for 2 months!" Taylor laughed, "Ok well I will come up and check everything is ready for you – don't lock the door though, ok?" Jessica nodded seriously "I won't, I'll shout out to you when I'm out so you know I'm ok"

They ran upstairs and Taylor hesitated "Can you use my bathroom – just for today? I want to be able to be close" Jessica shrugged "makes no difference to me" Taylor rushed and got Jessica two new fluffy towels and checked she had all the toiletries she needed before leaving her, she sat on her own bed, listening carefully but all she could hear was water running. After about 20 minutes she was beginning to get nervous but just as she was about check on the girl she heard her calling out "I'm done Tay! I'm just gonna dry my hair and moisturise. I forgot my PJ's – can you grab them please?" Taylor ran and grabbed them for the girl, knocking before walking in. Jessica was covered with a large towel, her hair on top of her head in another. She smiled widely "Thanks, that felt SO good. If I get dressed quickly will you plait my hair?" Taylor nodded and left the girl alone, after only a couple more minutes the girl came out wearing her new fluffy socks, pjs and a warm glow on her face. She sat down next to Taylor on the bed as the blonde gently brushed her hair, "Tay?" the blonde hummed in acknowledgement "Do you think I can get my hair cut? I want it shorter – like shoulder length"

Taylor nodded "yeah we can do that if you want. I can ask my hairdresser to make an appointment for you, I'm sure she can squeeze you in. You've always had long hair though – are you sure?" Jessica nodded quickly and closed her eyes "yeah, I just need a change". Taylor nodded, understanding that feeling then quickly plaited the girls hair in two braids on either side of her head. She snapped a quick photo and sent it to her Mum and Tree, thanking them both again for their gifts then switched her phone off and settled downstairs on the sofa, snuggling up to the girl. She couldn't have asked for a better first day home for the teen. She knew there and then, no matter what – they'd be ok.