Vape

Taylor was prepping dinner while Jessica finished off her homework upstairs. The blonde turned around to find Jessica's school bag dumped on the floor where the teen had just dropped it when she walked in. She rolled her eyes as she walked over, grabbing it up off the floor. Because it was half open when she grabbed it, half the contents spilled out – dropping onto the floor. Taylor muttered under her breath as she scooped it all up – ready to shove back into the bag. As her hands grabbed the items, she paused, frowning as she realised the teen had a vape. Anger surged through her – she thought the girl knew better. She walked to the bottom of the stairs "JESSICA! GET YOUR BUTT DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!"

A few seconds later, Jessica jogged down the stairs, a confused expression on her face "What's up?"

Taylor glared at her "Erm, I don't know. What is up? Anything you want to tell me?"

Jessica frowned "erm...no?"

Taylor held out her hand – showing the girl the vape "Well then what is this?"

Jessica's jaw dropped open slightly "I...it's not mine!"

Taylor scoffed "nice try, next excuse?"

Jessica rolled her eyes "why were you even in my bag?!"

Taylor's frustration rolled out now "I wasn't in your bag! You dumped it on the floor so I picked it up and half the crap fell out. This was part of that crap! If you're going to try and hide shit like this – you need to do a better job! Now, explanation please?"

Jessica shifted uncomfortable and shrugged "I don't know"

Taylor's voice boomed out "You don't know?! This was a conscious choice. Of course you know! You know what. Dinner will be done in 5 – go and pack away your homework then we will talk"

Jessica nodded, guilt growing in her stomach as she tried to think of a good excuse.

She came back downstairs, chewing her lip nervously. She had never actually really been in trouble with Taylor before – not properly. It had always been about her eating habits. She sat down at the table, looking down, embarrassed at being caught.

Taylor had calmed herself down slightly. Realising that shouting wasn't going to achieve anything "Ok, let's discuss this. Why do you have it?"

Jessica shrugged, not sure what to say "dunno..."

Taylor rolled her eyes "you still don't know? Well it didn't just fall into your bag – you made a choice to buy it – or steal it off somebody. Was it to impress your friends?"

Jessica frowned "No!"

Taylor pushed on though "because if it was to impress them or fit in then I think we need to think about your friendship choices. You don't have to do things like this to fit in."

Jessica grew frustrated "It wasn't about impressing them!"

Taylor nodded, frustration growing again "Ok – so what is it then?!"

Jessica began to play with her fingers, twisting them intently "It's nothing..."

Taylor's voice softened "you can tell me, talk to me..."

When Jessica sat silently, Taylor pushed on "Did you know vapes have nicotine in? They're not just flavours!"

Jessica nodded "Of course I know..."

Taylor began her lecture "well then – WHY have you done it? Did you know that a teen who vapes is four times more likely to start smoking? Besides – the chemicals in the vape flavours can damage your heart – your lungs – your immune system – it's dangerous!"

Jessica looked it "it's not dangerous. It's not like smoking..."

Taylor sighed "Just because it's LESS dangerous than smoking it doesn't mean it's NOT dangerous. If one thing is dangerous and one thing less dangerous – it doesn't mean it's risk free...."

Jessica nodded, tears burning in her eyes as she felt embarrassed again. She didn't say anything – knowing if she admitted to the true reason then she would just stir up more trouble.

Taylor continued pushing through "It is SO addictive Jessica..."

The teen looked up, a pout on her face "no – I can stop whenever I want..."

Taylor's eyes darkened with rage "You'll be stopping right now! You cannot fully understand the implications for your body yet – you are still a child!"

Jessica rolled her eyes "it's my body..."

Taylor slammed her hand down on the table now "You don't get to make these kinds of decisions when I am still responsible for you!"

Jessica's voice rose up – her own frustration evident "IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL!"

Taylor fired back "it's a huge deal!"

Jessica looked down at her fingers "this is ridiculous!"

Taylor took a deep breath "no – the vaping is ridiculous! I don't understand it – you've never done anything like this! What is the point?!"

This time Jessica just exploded – she couldn't stand it anymore "I JUST WANTED TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT, OK?!"

Taylor sat, confused "what?!"

Jessica began crying "somebody told me that the vape would help me lose weight – so I decided to try it. I didn't think it was such a big deal!"

Taylor rubbed her eyes, trying to keep calm "nicotine is an appetite suppressant yes – but it's not a healthy thing to do firstly, and secondly – you don't get to lose weight. How many times do we have to go through this?! You have to stick to your meal plan, you have to maintain a healthy weight. You don't get to keep compensating"

Jessica nodded, fiddling with her fingers again "I know – I'm sorry! I don't know why I did it..."

Taylor squeezed her hands "because you are having to constantly fight against those voices in your head. It's hard, it's exhausting and sometimes it's easier to just give in and give yourself a break – BUT what you have to remember is every time you do give in – it just makes that voice stronger, makes it harder to resist next time..."

Jessica nodded "yeah, I get that...I am sorry"

Taylor smiled softly "It's ok – you're allowed to make mistakes. Your brain isn't even fully developed yet, you learn by making mistakes"

Jessica smiled widely "so I'm not in trouble?"

Taylor rolled her eyes "oh no you are in trouble. Actions have consequences – that's also how you learn. You're grounded, two weeks. No phone. No party this weekend"

Jessica groaned throwing her head back "you are SO mean!"

Taylor narrowed her eyes "I think I'm being very generous right now. If I ever catch you doing this again – trust me it will be so much worse....and that's a promise"

Thanks for all the views on this and my new story!