4. Neil's POV

I did not want to sleep as I stared at Ishani's perfect face, her pouty lips, desire and love flamed in me. I was scared I would jinx it if I fell asleep. After making love and saying I love you multiple times she slept in my arms. This was the best day of my existence. I saw dawn creeping in and I did not want to get caught it would bring disgrace for Ishani so I slowly untangled myself from her tight hug, wrapped her blanket around her. I locked her door, kept a glass of water and hangover medicines on the bedside. I decided to write her a note so I grabbed a pen and paper from her bookshelf. I wanted to pour my heart out and write i have always loved you. But I wrote a simple note:

"Ishani sometimes being drunk brings out our true feelings. Letp's talk and finalise things. PS have the medicine you will feel better."
Then I added a bit more to warn her that the door was locked:

"PPS your door is locked open it before your mother goes crazy."
I couldn't help but add,
"PS Wear some clothes."

I opened the balcony door and closed it behind me. The air had the slight nip promising that winters will be here soon. I scanned the neighborhood before jumping to my balcony. I unlocked my room and entered it. I made sure to close the doors quietly and I changed. As I thought about the night before and the beginning of our love story I fell asleep.

I got up cheerful, the happiest I had ever felt. I wanted to yell from the rooftop that Ishani loved me. I went downstairs and our househelp got my morning coffee with the newspaper. I sipped my favourite Davidoff coffee as my mother entered. I touched her feet and wished her a happy Diwali. "Same to you my son. I wish you get married soon and we have grandchildren," she quipped, as I wished my father. I smiled thinking of Ishani and a mini Ishani in our house.

During breakfast my mother kept her constant chatter about the neighborhood gossip on which gave me time to think about Ishani and if she was up. I wanted to reclaim those pink pouty lips when I heard my mother mention Ishani. "Let's go to Ishani's house at 4?," she asked. "Sure," I replied suppressing my grin and happiness at the thought of meeting her.

I went to my room, shaved, took a shower and dressed in white polo tee and blue denims. I went to my balcony several times to see if Ishani's balcony door was open. I did not want to ring the wind chime and make her feel awkward.

I watched some telly thinking about how will we now break the news to our parents. I am sure Ishani was also wondering the same. This year for Diwali I had got Ishani a Kindle because she loved reading. But now it felt a bit too less, after all she was going to be my wife soon. I had always wanted a simple life. I studied hard and knew that I always wanted to be an engineer and when I turned 7 I knew Ishani was the one. So I decided to go and get her a new gift. I told my mother that Ishani's gift was still pending and went to the jewellery shop nearby.

Looking at some heavy diamond encrusted gold jewellery I they were not Ishani's style. And then I saw pretty heart shaped earrings with a ruby in the middle and a line of diamonds around the border. They were small, classy and beautiful just like Ishani. I got them packed and returned home.

It was around 4 pm when we went to their house. Much like every house, their house was decorated with fairy lights and strings of marigold flowers. There was a colourful rangoli on the doorstep. I entered and touched Rajini aunty's feet. "Namaste aunty. Happy diwali," I said in a cheerful tone. "Namaste beta! Same to you," she replied as I went to the drawing room to meet uncle. My parents were busy chatting with Aunty. Uncle was watching news on the TV like most men his age. "Hello uncle! Happy Diwali," I called out looking around to see if Ishani was there. I frowned when I saw that she was nowhere to be seen. "Where's ishani ," I asked as my parents and aunty walked in.
"Beta, she went upstairs to tidy her room. You go call her. We will serve the snacks," aunty replied as she and maa headed for the kitchen. We Indians have an uncanny habit of entering and cooking in other people's homes and kitchens without feeling awkward.

I raced up the stairs excited to meet Ishani alone. I opened the door to see her sleeping. She wearing a purple kurta, her hair in a plait and no makeup. The late afternoon sun made her glow. I looked at the room remembering last night. I closed the door and gently walked up to her. I was deciding weather to hug her but I whispered, "Hey, get up sleepyhead." I wanted to kiss her awake and was a second away from doing it when Ishani opened her eyes and pushed me away. Maybe I had scared her thankfully she did not yell. I kissed her forehead when all I wanted was to feel her warn lips on mine, "hangover? I hope you will not smoke again sweetheart. Let's go for lunch tomorrow we need to talk," I said planning my first ever date with the girl I loved.

"Sure. Let's not spoil Diwali. What did you get me?" she replied. Spoil? Hmm maybe she wanted to tell her parents and the reactions could surely spoil today. We went downstairs and as ishani wished maa she replied, "Arre! Come Ishani we were discussing our next Diwali will be so much better. Neil would be married and maybe you will also get engaged." I smiled as I picked up a samosa to eat as this was all going to be true.