34. Ishani's POV

I entered my house to find the dull afternoon sun warming it and making it glow in a beautiful golden light. I felt peaceful remembering my childhood. My mother always told me to become a strong woman. And today one foolish mistake had made everyone behave like I was the weakling.

I sat on the rocking chair and rocked away thinking if my parents would accept the truth. I loved my parents, in fact I was sure they would accept my truth. I fell asleep thinking of Neil and how to make it right.

I got up as someone touched my shoulder. I looked around the big blue lamp was switched on. My mother was standing next to me holding a cup of tea I must have passed out for quite some time as I someone has given me a shawl too.

"Maa" I said softly as she handed me the tea. "Weddings can be tiring." There are just three days for the functions to be begin I'm sure you should sleep and catch up on the rest. It was cold in the drawing room. "Maa" I cleared my throat. She needed to know. "Maa I can't marry Neil" "what do you mean?" "Maa I did the mistake of sleeping with him but loving him is not happening."

"Ishani you are mistaken you both have always been in love. I remember as a child you would always say you wanted to marry Neil. Then one day when he made his first girl friend at 12 you cried the whole night and got fever. You always talk to Neil at night because you cant sleep without his voice. Do you realise this is not friendship?" I thought back to all those moments but that was my childhood. Surely this love was my infatuation with a friend.

"But maa I have grown up how do you know it's love?" "Do you feel incomplete without him? Why do you want him around you for all parties? Why do you both sneak out to the balcony?" I was mentally ticking rights on this checklist. No. Yes. Yes. "But what guarantees it's love?" This was confusing and probably no mother daughter would ever have this discussion.

"Ishani if you do not react can I confess something?" I nodded. "We all knew of your love all along. It may look fixed or arranged but me and Neil's mother always knew. In fact your jealous looks when any girl came to meet him were often the main point of our discussion. "What?" The whole let's find Neil a girl was fake? "But why?" "Because you were the one always." "On Diwali we knew there was something wrong but you both were acting weird. It did not take us long to figure it out."

"Then your mother in law heard your Neil confessing to his father about how he loved you and had messed up his relation." "What? Neil told everything to his father?" I was shocked and also glowing in the fact Neil loved me. "Maa so was the Mussorie trip a hoax? The catching us together?" "Yes" she looked at me sheepishly. I was angry, beyond words. I got up and kept my cup on the table and while walking out something clicked my mind "maa what about Rianna?" "Ohh she is like Neil's sister. A childhood friend and now business partner. I'm sorry dear but sometimes all you need is a small shove to realise the bigger plans."

My head was reeling. I needed to sort out things with Neil and in fact I owed an explanation to Rianna also. I went to my room. I needed the quiet time. Neil had been a part of my life, yes with age his responsible behavior irked me but his possessiveness was a part of my growing up. I remember whenever any guy claimed a crush on me, Neil would go and tell the boy to back off. Infact I had never been in a relationship but my friends, family and life in general never made me feel the void of not having a relationship.

Neil was always the first one I confided in. He knew my secrets, my need to work, my reasons for keeping a fast every Monday in monsoon season. He had always been there but did this classify as love? Yes I felt happier when he was around but where were the firecrackers I read about. I was desperate to know if Neil was my Mr Right. But how could I decide? He never professed any undying love for me or that he would never want to be away from me.

With these thoughts I called Neil "Ish my love, how are you?" "Neil what's up?" "My relatives are here and Sid's mother is demanding to know where is her son." "What?" "Listen meet me in the balcony at 9?" "Okay Neil but why?" "Because I miss those meets." He said in a voice that made me feel hot.

I changed into my night suit and went to the balcony at 9 when my phone rang. It was an unknown number, "hello" "is that you Ishani" the voice sounded far away and crackled. "Who is this?" I felt a bit weird as the person replied. "Its me Sid. I need your help Ishani." "Sid? Is that really you? Where are you? Where is Reet?" Suddenly I felt scared for her. "Reet is here with me but there is a small issue you need to help us. My mother has issued a police complaint that I'm absconding with her business money and all my accounts are frozen. I can't use my phone and neither can Reet. She has been termed an accomplice in the whole fake robbery."

"What?" I fumed. I was shocked at the uglyness of the whole situation. "Where are you guys?" "We are in Faridabad, staying in this lowly accommodation. But there's a problem." Sid suddenly seemed hesitant. "Tell me Sid. Please. Is Reet okay? And the baby?" I had horrible images of Reet losing the baby that scared me.

"Yes but we are out of cash and the lodge owner will throw us out if we don't give him the dues soon. Can you please help?" Give me your details let me see what I can do.

I went back to my room. My best friend needed me Neil would understand. I quickly called Lata and took her brother's number. I remembered he was a lawyer. I arranged for her brother to file a counter case in the court and also get temporary bails. Next I made one call I was dreading. It took me about an hour to come clean to Andy. It involved tears, confessions and where exactly Rianna stood with Neil. He was now my confidant when he handed the phone to Rianna and I started pacing the floor. "Rianna my apologies are too less for all that I said today morning and presumed about you and Neil." "Ishani." She went quiet and I was scared of what she would say next. "I know you so well that all what you said today sounded the words of a jealous wife than a bitch you believe you were." "What?" "Ishani ever since I was a kid all I heard from Neil was how pretty you were. How long your hair were. How you laughed beautifully. Yes I was jealous that you sounded so perfect that when we met initially I let my jealousy judge you." I took a sharp breath of air as she continued, "but you are way above the pedestal Neil keeps you on. I wish we can be friends." "Aaw Rianna thanks but I thought on the same lines about you." We both giggled like a bunch if school girls and somehow the whole thing broke our hatred and I asked her "so what's the deal with Andy. He truly deserves his peace".

After an hour things were sorted. Me and Rianna were going to fetch Reet and Sid.

Happy new year my lovelies. Here's the deal, I plan to finish this story in this month so the updates shall be quick and regular. The editing not so much! Please do vote.

Do you think Ishani will now confess and understand true love? What is wrong with Sid Reet?